Honored Contributor

Re: For Fun .. your preference of home interiors

[ Edited ]

@ScenicMaine I have to say, I have such eclectic tastes that it's hard for me to pin down what I like and what I don't but in a nutshell... I like cozy, cottage and, to some extent, country looks and I also enjoy more formal interiors... I like English, French, Swedish and American styles, including more primitive pieces, and don't mind a bit of the modern interjected into more traditional looks. That said, I detest mid-century modern, Danish modern and so on, in any form, and if I see one more example of 'shabby chic', complete with too much white, lacy fabric and peeling paint off of 'recycled' junk I'll swoon... I'm not much of a fan of blue, other than as accents, primarily blue and white porcelain, and lean more toward greens, oranges, reds and golds, though nothing is written in stone... I like windows covered, but don't like too fussy window coverings... I like wallpaper, but not scads of it... I'm not a fan of trends and am thoroughly tired of greys and neutrals ruling the roost, just as I'm tired of 'global' influences, and am especially not liking 'Asian' and 'Morrocan' looks... Similarly, I've never been a fan of southwest influences... I could go on and on but blessedly, I won't...

Incidentally, I hope you saw my latest update to you over in the thread about laptops.. I wanted to ensure you knew that using a Chromebook does not limit your choice of search engine, only of browser...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

We love traditional with a lot of light and openness and we have that in our new home.  Our preference is cherry furniture for the living room and bedroom, and oak for the den/library.  I also like selected antique pieces --  an antique china cupboard, an antique coat rack (basket collection) and a few other pieces.  I love color so we have a combination of color and neutral shades.  Our wood floors are covered with area rugs, even in the kitchen, which adds color.

We have a sunroom in our home which houses a lot of plants and cozy furniture (sofa and chairs, etc.) and a small antique corner cupboard that once belonged to DH's parents.  We have two plank bottom antique chairs in the sunroom.  Our large screen TV is also there and we spend a lot of time in that room (TV, relaxing, reading, visiting, etc.).  Some days we open all the windows; other days like today (it is very hot) we close them.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Trusted Contributor

hello @stevieb 

Your style indeed covers a wide range of decor.  Just goes to show how different many of us are.  I enjoy seeing everyones' style tastes.

I, also, am getting tired of what I call "trending styles"; i.e., gray cabinets, repurposed items - I guess because I'm such an HGTV watcher that I see way too much of these trends.  I never thought I'd feel this way as I was such a fan.  Not saying I hate the styles, they're just getting old to me.

As for my style, I still lean towards cooler colors, lots of natural light, more of an open space & definitely no formal style.  I stick to my guns whether people feel it's appropriate or not with liking the coastal, nautical, cottagey while living in the city.  It's what makes me happy (although I do compromise with DH's "whatever" style so I don't have as much of my style as I'd like.)

Yes, thank you, I saw your post about Chromebook.  I'm sorry, I meant to reply & must have gotten distracted.  So, I'm leaning towards one, just need to further investigate the brands; what's more reliable, etc.  I do appreciate your taking the time to respond. 

Hope you're enjoying your weekend,

Honored Contributor

Minimalist "eclectic casua" with light-dark contrasts, various textures, pops of vibrant color, and global touches.

Plus nature and animal stuff, of course.  ;-)

Small(er) home for sure, apartment or other.