Respected Contributor

I have been shopping for a new 'bedroom suit/set' for my new house.  All I see on the market are beds with '''footboards'' which play havoc with my old hands when changing sheets.  Has anyone noticed  that all beds have footboards these days?

Honored Contributor

I've had a footboard on my bed forever. I can take them or leave them. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Except for one bed, many years ago, I've always had footboards. I prefer them, as they keep the comforter from sliding off the foot of the bed (I move around a lot in my sleep).

Mine may be easier to make, though, because I have a metal head & footboard...bars are easier to reach through. Also, DH helps me make the bed and he can lift the king-size mattress a bit to tuck the fitted sheet under it. I don't use a top sheet.

Honored Contributor

We have a base that we got from Amazon and that does not need a boxspring.  Got a separate headboard from them too.  No footboard although I'm not adverse to them but haven't seen any I like that's worth the price.

Honored Contributor

I like a footboard, even if it is a very low one.  I think a bed looks incomplete without one; like half a bed.

Honored Contributor

To me, the footboard is an integral part of the design with the headboard.  I've never had a bed without both.  I've also never had a problem making the bed.  However, if you prefer the look without one and are having issues making the bed, check out Wayfair and choose one that is comfortable for you.  Enjoy your new bed!

Honored Contributor

I have a footboard on my bed.  I don't have any problems changing the sheets or making the bed. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@sarahpanda I am trying to live with my elaborate footboard that is on my bed. It interferes with the entire bed making process. I do not like the way it causes my comforter to drape. I know what you mean. It is a challenge to have the strength to get a fitted sheet on a bed. Then the footboard being in the way really complicates the process for us older folks.

Respected Contributor

I don't have a footboard.  DH and I made a headboard for our king sized mattress by upholstering a piece of plywood and attaching it to the Hollywood bed frame.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have a beautiful bedframe that has both, a headboard and footboard.  I do agree with @On It as it can be difficult to maneuver when changing the sheets and mine also bunches up my comforter at the end.  In my spare bedroom we have a simple base we bought on Amazon.  I love the look of that bed as the comforter lays perfect!  Nothing fancy but it works and then if you want you can always get one of those wall type headboards.