Honored Contributor
V34782No Image Found

Shark Genius Steam Pocket Mop System with Floor

Love it.  Would not take anything for it.  I have a husband ,myself and a big old furry dog.  I have 3 bathrooms and about every 10 days to 2 weeks, I use this.  Otherwise, I use Swiffer dust mop and if needed, the wet Swiffer.  And then if the dog has an accident, I use my hands and knees, paper towels, Lysol and a lot of praying that I don't lose my temper.

One bath is limestone, one slate, another "hardwood"...real hardwood and so is my kitchen.  All public areas hardwood except limestone foyer.  I love that thing!!!!

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Redtop - OK I am convinced - I do not want anyone to worry about slipping on a smooth tile. I like the look but if it causes concerns with people walking on it - I will pass. So I will go with a more textured finish. The kitchen gets too much traffic with the guys coming in from running, biking and the dog. It is not worth it. Thanks for your input. 

You can get tiles that aren't really slick without them being textured.  

Honored Contributor

Katchina - Good suggestion - every time we have work done the contractor left any "extra". So I will definitely make it a point that I want whatever is left over. 

I love the feel of the high polished tiles but I realize it won't work in my house. And I would be so scared if someone slipped. Guess that is why there is a huge selection of textured tiles.

Honored Contributor

NameAlready taken - I have the Bissell version of that. But to clean my kitchen floor I sit on the floor with paper towels and spray cleaner. But I am hoping with the new floor to just use the Bisell Steam Cleaner.

Funny you mentioned acidents - my dog "lost it" this morning. So we are well prepared for his tummy upsets.

I am learning, Ladies. Thank you

Honored Contributor

Sooner - Thanks will look for them.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Flooring tiles

[ Edited ]

I just put down textured, long planks, porcelain tile in my bathroom/toilet area and walk-in closet. I also had the tile guys put down these colorful designer tiles throughout the planks - for color and interest. My tiles are several shades of grey - I think it's more interesting than a single color. A few weeks ago, I put down these same plank tiles on top of my staircase - and on the face of each step, I put different colored rocks. 

Don't put down smooth/polished tile -- way too slippery. The female designer in the tile store warned me about this when I was buying my tile. She guided me to the right tiles when I told her what I wanted. They had so many tiles, I couldn't have bought tile without her. I love those designer tiles - really makes the look.

9 years ago, I put down very large square ceramic tile in my living room, dining room, family room and downstairs bath.

I have laminate wood, oak design, in my kitchen. I put that in when I purchased my house 16 yrs ago. 

What is great about tile - u only use water to clean it - no chemicals/sprays which are unhealthy. 

I've been washing my floors with Don Aslett's Microfiber Mop - comes with several mop heads - which u toss in the washing machine. Bought from QVC. Or u could use the swiffer - I used to use that.

I recommend that u google tile stores in ur area - and read the reviews. Also, google the name of the tile store - and see if there are complaints. Then the tile store will refer u to a good tile company. You shouldn't just assume these tile guys are going to do a good job. You could also interview 2 or 3 tile guys that the tile store recommended. Check out their prices, their opinions about what u need -- and if u feel comfortable with them. Check them out on Yelp also.

I did a lot of looking at different tile - for various rooms - on the internet.

Once tile is laid down - that's it. You can't change it.

I also tiled my shower enclosure - and around the tub surround. My tile guys were the BEST and the price ws great - recommended by my tile store.

Esteemed Contributor

ALways order at least one full extra box of tiles in case some need to be replaced.  Be very careful,with slick, shiny tiles on a bathroom floor.  I would not put a slick tile on a bathroom floor.   use grout sealer to seal the grout lines and re-apply yearly.

Honored Contributor

Kivah - we plan to use the same tile company that installed our kitchen floor. The floor still looks good after all these years but we are ready for a change. 

What started the whole floor thing, was today my husband toured the house next door. It was for sale ,someone gutted it and it new owners are moving in Saturday. My husband said they did a poor job of the hard wood flooring. He thinks they didn't do a good job with the base. He said he can't believe that the people buying the house wouldn't make them fix the floor. He said that the entry way tile looked bad.

So that is why we are using tried and true company. They are local and been in business since 1950.

Yes, the bathroom will be all tile. Plastic enclosures scare me. 

I appreciate your input. As you said once tile is down you can't change it. I want this to last and be haappy with it.

Honored Contributor

KathyPet - Thanks for the warning.

After the other Ladies comments, I am stearing clear of smooth shiny tiles on the floor. I probably would be the first one to fall, if I did get shiny tiles. 

Thanks for passing along the grout sealer information. 

Honored Contributor

@scraphappy wrote:

I just remodeled 3 bathrooms.  Used porcelin tile in each of them.  Two smooth, one slightly textured.  I have to say I'm finding the textured bathroom floor a little bit more difficult to clean.  I decided today I have to try a new method.  I have hardwood flooring in my kitchen, but if I had to choose a flooring for a kitchen, I'd really like to have the tile flooring that looks like wood. 

@scraphappy  Have you considered the vinyl that looks exactly like real wood?  It would be my choice.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment