Honored Contributor

I'd encourage you to consider your lifestyle, health, needs and those of the others in your home. 

"They" say carpet is out. "They say flooring should be uniform throughout a home. "They are not important to me. 

Some home designs, like one level open concept type homes, look better with a continuous floor. Multi level homes do not need that in my opinion. 

Your climate will dictate too, what kinds of floor coverings you will choose. Many of us that live in northern climates don't see a problem in the least with carpeted rooms, especially stairs and bedrooms. I know I'd never do a hard surface on stairs for me, unless they were already old wood stairs in a period home, and even then carpet down the center would probably be my option. 

I love wood, but it doesn't hold up well for the cost with dogs, and kids and real life. I'm getting ready to do laminate in the kitchen and dining room, that are like one big room, but honestly I'm not sure I"m going to be all that happy with the extreme hardness on my bad knees, but it what I think we need for the 'kids' that live here now (big dog and two cats! lol). 

Let us know what you decide.

Esteemed Contributor

I have multiple floor surfaces in my home. It has a semi open floor plan so I can relate to your situation. I would be more inclined to replace the stairs and the upper hallway with carpet rather then vinyl planks. Depending on the type of vinly this can be a slip hazard depending on you shoe bottom, etc. Installation could get costly because you would have extra cutting and facing pieces with steps and hallways. All those "specialized" pieces of planking add up.Since you already have carpet on the top two levels and assuming you keep the color the same from the first floor up (steps and hallways) I think this would blend easier with your floor plan.