Super Contributor

I have a 2 story house with tile on the first floor and carpet on the stairs, upstairs hall, 3 bedrooms and loft.   My problem is that the carpet on the stairs and hall is very badly worn, very visible from the front door etc.  I had planned to replace all the carpet with vinyl planks but cost is a problem right now.  

In your opinion, if I were to replace the stairs and hall with very similar color vinyl planks would that look awful?  I have always heard that the fewer flooring choices in a home, the better.  The carpet in the loft and bedrooms are still good.

Thank you

Respected Contributor

When you say "very similar color vinyl planks" are you saying it is similar to the color of the downstairs tiles or the upstairs carpet?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@lilypadfrog When we replaced the flooring in the living room, I wanted to put planks on the stairwell....the company talked me out of it, saying it was a slip hazard.

Not sure that it is  a true statement, but I ended up putting new carpet on the steps.  I understand the wear issue...I also was told it was pretty expensive, because of all the cutting....let us know what you decide to do.  I am curious about the stairway.

Super Contributor

Both the existing carpet and tile are very light beige.  Not colors I would choose again, but its what I have.  Both carpet and tile are 10+ years old.  I did consider having the vinyl in a darker color as an attempt as a choice to contrast???

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@lilypadfrog When we replaced the flooring in the living room, I wanted to put planks on the stairwell....the company talked me out of it, saying it was a slip hazard.

Not sure that it is  a true statement, but I ended up putting new carpet on the steps.  I understand the wear issue...I also was told it was pretty expensive, because of all the cutting....let us know what you decide to do.  I am curious about the stairway.

My son-in-law’s mother is rebuilding a cottage and wanted to use vinyl planks on the stairs and the builder also told her it was a slip hazard so she is going to use carpet. 

Esteemed Contributor

What’s under the rug? Is it wood flooring? If so just use that till you can afford what you want to do. If not wood can you run a runner down center of stairs and paint the edges again until you can afford to do what you want. Good luck to you in this undertaking. 

Honored Contributor

@lilypadfrogI've been considering the vinyl planks also, but I'm not dealing with steps.  Given how my contractor explained the installation process, I would not consider them for steps (if I still had steps)

I do expect to use the planks but for a one-story condo great room.   I'm still working on details, but given what I think the costs will be for everything that needs to be upgraded, I expect to carpet both bedrooms -  and both will be done with the same carpet.  I'm not concerned about having 2 different floorings.  I had 2 in my previous home and it was fine.

Super Contributor

Digo,  I would assume the steps and landings (think 5 steps, 4x4 landing, 5 steps, 4x4 landing then 5 more steps) are probably made of the cheapest plywood that met code when the home was built.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Flooring opinion

[ Edited ]

@lilypadfrog   Try going to a local carpet store that has been in business a long time and has a good reputation.  Ask about carpet remnants, indoor/outdoor carpet, etc.  Tell them what you want, what your budget constraints are, and see what they can do to to work with you.

You should try a few places if you can, but often a local dealer with have more leeway and be more flexible than a big box store.  They also have more experience, more carpet in stock, and carpet leftover that may fill the bill for you!

GOOD LUCK!  ALSO, I wouldn't hesitate to use a darker color on the stairs.  Maybe you could even find a fun print or something different that appeals to you and adds some zip to the house!

@lilypadfrog wrote:

I have a 2 story house with tile on the first floor and carpet on the stairs, upstairs hall, 3 bedrooms and loft.   My problem is that the carpet on the stairs and hall is very badly worn, very visible from the front door etc.  I had planned to replace all the carpet with vinyl planks but cost is a problem right now.  

In your opinion, if I were to replace the stairs and hall with very similar color vinyl planks would that look awful?  I have always heard that the fewer flooring choices in a home, the better.  The carpet in the loft and bedrooms are still good.

Thank you

Super Contributor

Sooner, great idea!   I can take a look next week.  Maybe with the 4th of July,  there will be sales.  I also like your idea of totally different, possibly print carpet.