Super Contributor

Re: Floor cleaning, opinions please

Imaoldhippie... I mop over and over because when I take a corner of a clean damp cloth to the floor, dirt still comes up.  My tile has more of a glow to it than a shine, if that makes sense.  Sometimes I wonder if its the "finish" on the tile causing part of the problem.

Respected Contributor

@Janey2 

I used the Haan steamer for two years and then one day I noticed a distinctive straight line of darker color than the rest of the laminate.....I had just finished steaming the floor.

Well, I got a damp paper towel and went over the line....dirt!  That was it for the steamer.

I purchased a telescoping rechargeable floor brush set ( it was cheaper on Amazon then ) and with a floor mop that I can squeeze out the dirty water, I am very happy with my shiny, clean floors.  I can't get down on knees anymore !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

I'm 73 and will not spend 3 hours cleaning my floors! I no longer care that the tile is shiny, because it just isn't! LOL! I use my Dyson rechargeable daily for about 10 minutes to pick up the cat fur, litter and dragged in dirt. I have a Swiffer Wet Jet that I use on the tile floors every couple of weeks and it does a decent job as long as I use one pad for the kitchen and one pad for the LR. That job takes me about 30 minutes. As long as I know the floor is clean, I'm satisfied. Once in awhile, I'll hand-wipe the corners or the baseboards, but that is not a priority.

Another thing to consider for you is the Bissell that vacuums and steams at the same time. I have one and like it - it does save time. Most times I'm just not motivated to use it, but it does work.

Respected Contributor

I tedrecently got the Nellie's cordless vibrating mop. Love it. That being said, it does take a little more time than regular mopping. What I have discovered is the Nellies floor cleaner diluted with water is the best cleaner I've ever used. I have tile and luxury vinyl and I've never had them look better. Look brand new and they are 20 yrs old. Whether you use it with a microfiber mop or the machine there's no streaking, just clean. FYI you can buy a 3 pack at Costco on line at a great price. A little goes a long way.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1 

LOL.  I'm in that age group.  Have pretty much stayed in my house for 13+ months due to the Pandemic.  You would think my house would be spotless clean.  NOT!  Tile floors, I have tile in my kitchen a small area in the dining room, and in my entryway.  Swiffer works fine, as far as I am concerned. 

Super Contributor

I watch my 2 granddaughters, age 1 year and 12 years, during the week.  I think after seeing the dirt on the knees of my crawling grandbaby and how she puts everything in her mouth has made me very anxious to keep the floor clean.  I am going to review the suggestions you all have given me.  Who knows, I may end up with an arsenal of cleaning tools!  Thank you!

Respected Contributor

Is it possible that Mrs. Meyer's is not getting  the floor clean not the mop? I would try Lysol or something along those lines. Maybe you just need a stronger cleaner. I never rinse with water after I cleaned the floor. Is Mrs. Meyer's leaving a film on the floor?

Esteemed Contributor

Even if I had all that time just to do 1 floor, I wouldn't! I steam clean my wood floors (both living room & kitchen/dining) downstairs, and steam clean all the rugs up stairs [just about] every week!

The steam is enough to really clean (and refresh carpets), and things are dry in no time. 

Honored Contributor

I use both a mop and a steam cleaner although not at the same time.  I feel the mop gets into corners better, and just the fact that the floor gets wetter makes me feel like it is cleaner than just the steam cleaning.

Respected Contributor

I had a steam mop years ago.  Got it from QVC.  Didn't last that long but I didn't feel it got the floors really clean.  I have a shark Irobot vacuum.  I turn it on, leave for a while.  When I come back, I clean it with a wet swifter.  I like the results from swifter better.