Super Contributor

Floor cleaning, opinions please

I would very much appreciate your opinion as to whether you feel a tile floor gets cleaner with a mop or a floor steamer.  I stopped using my older Eureka Enviro steamer because the pads just left too many streaks.  I have been using Mystic Maid mops pads but find I need to almost mop it several times.  Here's my process:  I pick up everything off the floor including dining chairs, ottoman, dog bed, throw rugs, etc.  Then I vacuum with a Bissell pet vacuum to remove the fur.  Then I mop using Mrs Meyer's floor cleaner, followed up by a plain water mop.  I am sitting here now watching my floor dry, thinking I should now use the steamer.  The tile floor is the entire first floor of my house, about 900 feet.  This takes me about 3 hours just to mop and at 70, I just need a better way to do this.  Advice?

Respected Contributor

Re: Floor cleaning, opinions please

[ Edited ]

I have a steamer and do not feel it gets the floor clean. I use a sponge mop and feel the floor is much cleaner. The best floor cleaner I used believe it or not is the swiffer. The reason I stopped using it was that the last two I purchased did not work so I gave up. 

Esteemed Contributor

I got rid of my steamer & my mop. I have been using a swiffer mop for about 15 years & love it. I've tried other floor cleaners & always go back to the swiffer. I use it on my ceramic tile & on my laminate.

Honored Contributor

I use vinegar and water on my floors, but it depends on the type of floor you have.  

Esteemed Contributor

Three hours to do floors is a ........life time to me.

Steamer is great for stuck-on stuff.  That's when I use it

Otherwise pail & mop for quick..... but decent cleaning

Just bought a Swiffer  (basic model)..- so with limited use - the jury is still out  (I bought a supply of the

pads - so have those to use up.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a lot of floor space from tile to la,minate to hardwood and carpet. On the tile and laminte I use my Hahn steam mop. Love this thing. No streaks and dries in seconds. Now I have dogs so I vacuum twice a week. On the rooms with tile or laminte or hardwood I'll run the cordless Dyson around to pick up debris or dog hair if it's shedding season. If not, I'll use the DonAstlett dusting mop. Washable pads that last forever. This method is also time saving. 

I used to have the multiple steps like you described until I found the proper floor steam cleaner and the Don Astlett dusting mop. The wider cleaning head on the dust mop makes a difference. 

Hope this helps you.

Respected Contributor

We use Swiffer Wet.  Vacuum first, then mop with Swiffer.  I avoid the highly fragranced ones.

Super Contributor

I originally bought the Mystic Maid mop because it came with a dust mop pad.  That works great for daily use but my vacuum gets fine dirt up better.

Thank you all.  I will look into getting a more up to date steamer or the swifter mop.  I guess since my Eureka is over 10 years old, its about time.

Honored Contributor

In a previous home I used a Bissell steamer on my laminate floors.  Loved it!!  Now I have bamboo floors and wish I could use my steamer. 

Honored Contributor

@lilypadfrog ...........The question is why do you feel as though you need to mop so many times?  Why do you rinse the floor?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)