Esteemed Contributor

Re: Floor cleaning, opinions please

Bona mop and cleaner. Nothing like it, and your floors are clean with minimal effort. Check it out on Amazon. I bought the professional model for $59.00. 

Honored Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

I have a lot of floor space from tile to la,minate to hardwood and carpet. On the tile and laminte I use my Hahn steam mop. Love this thing. No streaks and dries in seconds. Now I have dogs so I vacuum twice a week. On the rooms with tile or laminte or hardwood I'll run the cordless Dyson around to pick up debris or dog hair if it's shedding season. If not, I'll use the DonAstlett dusting mop. Washable pads that last forever. This method is also time saving. 

I used to have the multiple steps like you described until I found the proper floor steam cleaner and the Don Astlett dusting mop. The wider cleaning head on the dust mop makes a difference. 

Hope this helps you.

@Fressa 

Do you use your steam mop on hardwood?  We were told not to use steam or water on our hardwood, but to use a product that contains oils.  I have a Rainbow vacuum and it cleans very well and if I have a little to clean and not the whole house, I use the dry swiffer and I also use the wet swiffer from time to time but I do use a microfiber mophead and the oily stuff that I was advised to use by the people who put my hardwood in.

Honored Contributor

@lilypadfrog wrote:

I would very much appreciate your opinion as to whether you feel a tile floor gets cleaner with a mop or a floor steamer.  I stopped using my older Eureka Enviro steamer because the pads just left too many streaks.  I have been using Mystic Maid mops pads but find I need to almost mop it several times.  Here's my process:  I pick up everything off the floor including dining chairs, ottoman, dog bed, throw rugs, etc.  Then I vacuum with a Bissell pet vacuum to remove the fur.  Then I mop using Mrs Meyer's floor cleaner, followed up by a plain water mop.  I am sitting here now watching my floor dry, thinking I should now use the steamer.  The tile floor is the entire first floor of my house, about 900 feet.  This takes me about 3 hours just to mop and at 70, I just need a better way to do this.  Advice?

@lilypadfrog 

Are you saying it takes 3 hours to mop 900 square feet?  

Esteemed Contributor

I use a mop from the same section as Swiffers, but you can buy spare, washable, microfiber, pads.

Love it.  Can clean with whatever you like.  Can rinse or not. 

Esteemed Contributor

My steam mop is only steam (no water residue at all) . My hardwoods are original to our older home. I only use the steam mop on them about once a year. Normally, I use my Dyson stick or Astlet mop.   

Super Contributor

Jewel22, I never thought about the cleaner.  Thank you.  I will try a stronger one and see if that makes any difference.

Super Contributor

NameAlreadyTaken.  Yes, it does from clearing the floor of highchairs, dining room chairs, ottoman, dog beds, toddler push toys, etc...all of which are carried out to my patio so I can have as clear a floor as possible.  Then I vacuum, empty the vac then start mopping.  Once finished mopping 2 or 3 times, I have to carry everything back in and clean up the mop.  I dont think I am necessarily slow but am certainly not speedy.  My guess is that it takes a good 30 minutes to clear every room and the same time to bring it all back once the floor is clean.

Honored Contributor

@lilypadfrog wrote:

NameAlreadyTaken.  Yes, it does from clearing the floor of highchairs, dining room chairs, ottoman, dog beds, toddler push toys, etc...all of which are carried out to my patio so I can have as clear a floor as possible.  Then I vacuum, empty the vac then start mopping.  Once finished mopping 2 or 3 times, I have to carry everything back in and clean up the mop.  I dont think I am necessarily slow but am certainly not speedy.  My guess is that it takes a good 30 minutes to clear every room and the same time to bring it all back once the floor is clean.

@lilypadfrog 

I fear you are working yourself unnecessarily.  I don't think you have to spend that much time taking everything outside and mopping repeatedly and bringing it all back in.  Can you not just move things out of your way and go on to the next item and put that one back.  

Honored Contributor

@lilypadfrog 

wow I'd be exhausted.  I just use good old vinegar & water on my tile flooring as recommended by the manufacturer.

As for other floors (LVP) I use slightly damp microfiber mop (Don Aslett bought ions ago from Q) -- 

any type of steamer is not recommended use especially on laminate, hardwood or LVP can cause damage from excess water left behind.  

frankly, I used it on my tile and took forever to dry!  I don't believe it's going to clean the floor just "sanitize" -- it was more trouble & work ...

I like my microfiber pads and they are washable too🙂

Super Contributor

NameAlreadyTaken. The layout of my first floor is very "chopped" up.  There's a kitchen, small dining room, living room, entry way, bedroom and  bathroom.  I have tried to scoot things out of the way or move them to one side while I did the other side.  It used to leave scuff marks.  My floor is an off white, I regret that choice.  I freely admit that I tend to be ocd about my floor.  Even my dog will either lay on the couch or at the top of the stairs until I tell her everything is dry.  Paw prints stand out with the light floor and all the windows.

Thank you everyone, I have received several good ideas which I pIan on trying!