Respected Contributor

Feline groovy.....hope this helps, no steam, nothing wet.

Wood and wet do not get along.   There's hardwood floor cleaner available with an application mop at Home Depot or Ace Hardware but aside from a long dust mop, that's it.    No machines.

I know, I want a steamer too but the little bit of tile I have, not worth it.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Floor care help, please

[ Edited ]

@feline groovy, go ahead and sweep, dustmop, and vaccume, but by all means find out exactly what you have before doing anything else and possible losing your deposit. 

I think some of the posters here are assuming your wood flooring came out of a box from a home or hardware store. Essentially that type is a picture of wood grain applied to the surface and is easily rippled/bubbled by too much water contact.

But my own hardwood is solid oak planks, individually trimmed and laid down by a carpenter, then stained and finished. It's not as finicky or succeptable to water damage.

And you don't know which type of wood flooring you have yet, or even if your tile is ceramic or vinyl. 

So please talk with your apartment manager or owner and find out what kind of hard flooring you have and how they wish you to care for it.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge

Did you see part 1 of my reply to Just Bling?

The flooring's been fine for months now, and I've been extra careful with everything in my apartment.

Also, I have zero carpeting, so there's no need to vacuum.

But, like you, I would always recommend to renters of any type of home to ask lots of questions and double-check the lease for additional info.

I've rented for 30 years, but have had different types of stuff in my apartments.

BTW,  I owned an old house many years ago that had the original wood flooring from the 1800's.

It was a nice discovery after I got rid of the wall-to-wall carpeting.  8)

Esteemed Contributor

@feline groovy   I have solid oak hardwood floors throughout, and vacuum the wood floors all the time. 

I vacuum more now with cats than I had to with dogs.

I DO occasionally damp mop my wood with a wood cleaner, and use a fan to dry the floor quickly.

But that laminated wood flooring has no tolerance for water. Water, steam and heat may make the laminated layers separate. 

I love old houses. My electrician offered to buy all my fixtures, and my brother half jokingly advised me to rip out my floors and sell them.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a variety of floor surfaces in my home. I use the Don Astlet dusting mop and the Hann floor steamer. My floor surfaces are ceramic, marble, hardwood, tile and carpet. I use a Dyson for the carpet.