Valued Contributor

@LonestarBabs wrote:

@sassenach1  You say your house is mostly siding in a neighborhood of houses with brick fronts. That may/may not be a problem, but could there be a compromise to give the appearance of stone or brick somehow? Is your mailbox on the street -- if so, could it be surrounded by brick? Could you buy some Veneerstone at Home Depot and do some stone accents to the outside of your house somewhere to create a blend? Not expensive projects. Could you build a few brick planter boxes out front for curb appeal?

When is the contract up with your listing agent? You might want to consult with other realtors for a second opinion if you're close to the contract's expiration.

@LonestarBabs DH and I just five minutes ago talked about the veneer you mentioned!  Hadn't thought of the mailbox idea.  Thank you.  Our contract is up in September.  We would need to take off the market a few months for the winter.

Respected Contributor

realtors push these updates hard so they don't have to work to sell properties. They want them to sell themselves and to have little negotiation with buyers over updates/repairs. It costs them nothing and the income opportunity is high for them from your work!  

Also is it a buyers or sellers market in your area?  Is there a glut of houses for sale?  There is an avg. days on the market for your area. 

I'm a buyer who wants to do this myself because I never like the owners choices. Few people want to if they have plenty of houses to choose from. My son just listed his house and got a contract the same day. Best of luck. 

Respected Contributor

@sassenach1 wrote:

I wish you all the best.

Our home selling experience has been very depressing.  Ours is an upper scale home with high end finishes, 3K plus square feet.  Great school district.  Builder finished beautifully and we recently got rid of even more carpet for hardwoods and in the basement, solid surface flooring.  This house is staged well, too.  Walking in, it is a wow.

NO ONE wants our house.  We've had four actual showings and several open houses in two months.  We've now lowered the price to what we paid for it 12 years ago.  

We do have a good realtor, confirmed by many valid sources.

It is our price range. Anything lower than $250K is selling quickly.  We are well above that's.  We also are all siding in a neighborhood of brick fronts.  Can't do anything about that as we are back to the price we paid for this house. 

We are very disappointed.

I'm thinking the same since it's been on the market for 6 months and it's just this past week that all the updates are done or as many as I'm going to do, let's say it that way.  I have a brick home and I haven't seen one in the area that has recently sold,  That's crazy how different parts of the country are so different.  We'll have to start a "please buy my house" club.

Honored Contributor

Re: Flipped a home

[ Edited ]

I think people want things updated because of the time and expense of doing it themselves.  When I sold my last house, I updated alot in the ten years i lived there.  New roof, New garage doors, fresh paint in and out, upgraded bathrooms and kitchen and the list goes on.  It sold for full price.  The people knocked it down and built a new house on the foundation.  I never would have believed it, if I hadn't seen it.  They must have had money to burn.  They've had it on the market three times in the past two years at the price they bought it for.  It's currently being rented.  Good luck on your house selling.

Honored Contributor

@sassenach1 wrote:

@sandraskates Thank you.  Yes, the market is similar here in the less than $250K price range.  House goes on the market and it quickly gets multiple offers.  

We we are in constant contact with our realtor.  Feedback has been minimal as there have been few showings. The realtor lunch when we first listed had a couple of small negatives. We took care of them all.  Because we are not even getting showings, we think it may be two possible uncontrollables:  we are non-brick in a neighborhood of mostly brick fronts and our large yard is mostly on the side.  Our yard, however, is well-landscaped and beautiful.

Really getting us down.

Have you thought about going to open houses in the area that are at the same price point.  See what features they have.  Or look up listings in that price range that have sold in the past year. 

Maybe the house is listed too high.  My neighbors had their house on the market for a year.  They had lots of open houses.  I never saw any cars.  They dropped the price $40k and it sold.  They are on a corner lot with the bulk of the yard being on the side where the road is.  It may not be the issue, but it's something to consider.  Hope it all works out sooner rather than later.

Valued Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

@sassenach1 wrote:

@sandraskates Thank you.  Yes, the market is similar here in the less than $250K price range.  House goes on the market and it quickly gets multiple offers.  

We we are in constant contact with our realtor.  Feedback has been minimal as there have been few showings. The realtor lunch when we first listed had a couple of small negatives. We took care of them all.  Because we are not even getting showings, we think it may be two possible uncontrollables:  we are non-brick in a neighborhood of mostly brick fronts and our large yard is mostly on the side.  Our yard, however, is well-landscaped and beautiful.

Really getting us down.

Have you thought about going to open houses in the area that are at the same price point.  See what features they have.  Or look up listings in that price range that have sold in the past year. 

Maybe the house is listed too high.  My neighbors had their house on the market for a year.  They had lots of open houses.  I never saw any cars.  They dropped the price $40k and it sold.  They are on a corner lot with the bulk of the yard being on the side where the road is.  It may not be the issue, but it's something to consider.  Hope it all works out sooner rather than later.

@GCR18 We have been to a few open houses at similar prices to ours.  We have been surprised at the lack of hardwoods and crown moulding, just to name one example.  We initially priced based upon comps we had.  We have since lowered $40K to what we paid for the house - based upon new market data trends.  That price drop was this week.  Not a showing at all since.  

Trusted Contributor

Im not sure but I know where we live the housing market never really recovered from the pre-2008 market. Banks are not giving out the loans anymore and is a much harder process getting a home loan now. (especially for the over 200K ones) I dont think I will ever own again and if my husband didnt insist on owning this home...........well this would be sold in a minute. Owning a home used to be such an investment.......not so much anymore. So many foreclosures too...is so sad. Good luck and your home sounds beautiful.

Honored Contributor

The plan where I live in Florida was started in 2007 - homes built there between 2010 and when they sold out in 2014 are now being sold for approx 30% more than we paid for them in 2010. Homes that sold then for $165,000 on average are now selling for $220,000 to $240,000, and are selling within a week. Either the market is very poor where the OP lives or her house is very overpriced. 

Trusted Contributor

Our neighbors have been trying to sell their house for 6 months. It is a beautiful home and other homes in our area have sold fairly quickly. They spent a fortune on installing a new kitchen last fall and they decided to go with white cabinets and now the realtor is telling them that white cabinets are on their way out. I feel bad for them but they are great neighbors so we'd be sad to see them go. 

Honored Contributor

@sassenach1sending good vibes & positive thoughts to you... hang in there.