Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

Open House today and I sent a "spy" in to get a sense of my realtor and to overhear what others are saying.

There's nothing but brick and a garden in the backyard, one couple wanted grass...and if I had grass back there, they would want it ripped out and replaced with brick.

Can't win.  I guess no offers.

Our realtor had online feedback from those who had toured the house - some said the yard was too large and others wanted an acre, some complained it was too expensive while others didn't like the ivory we had painted all the rooms.Some wanted this and pthers wanted that. You just can not win.Our house was listed for $179,000 so of course we got  mostly younger couples but the only offers we got were from middle age couples, and it was a couple looking for a home to retire in who bought it.

Respected Contributor

I know, can't win, just need to wait until the "right" person comes along.

One good thing, not one complaint about the house and what's inside, guess I did a good job but heck there's next week and the week after.

I will hang in there, thanks for all the well wishes.

Trusted Contributor

@Just Bling

I had a house on the market for four months and got nothing but low ball offers and finally took it off the market. My realtor was worthless so I kicked him to the curb.

The kitchen had a TON of cabinets but many lookers complained that there was no pantry. So, I was at Goodwill one day and found a cabinet that matched the others and set it in the kitchen.

I then ripped out the carpet in the bedrooms and replaced it with a nice neutral low pile carpet.

I repainted the bathrooms in a soft blue green color and painted the cabinets a dark brown.

Replaced the builder light fixtures and faucets and replaced them with modern updates. I also took out the big old bathroom mirrors and replaced them with updated framed mirrors.

When I relisted, I had three showings the first day and an offer on day four.

The lady who bought it did not care about a pantry, or lack of a pantry! It had a big fenced in yard and she had dogs so that was a selling point. Many houses don't have fences or they have those wooden ones that eventually fall over.

She paid cash and we closed in a few weeks. She said she felt right at home and loved the colors. The walls were a soft oatmeal color and I painted the kitchen a light cucumber.

So, when the right buyer comes along, they will want exactly what they see.

Respected Contributor

flickerbulb....that is so nice of you and so true.

Getting rid of some of the "dirt" in the backyard and I have a gal putting in some sod.  Putting a border around the garden to state it is a garden, planting a few flowers and I think we're good to go...."greening" up the backyard.

The right person will come along....needs a family.