Honored Contributor

Re: Flameless Candles And Sand

@GingerPeach wrote:

@NickNack 

If you're worried about the sand getting into the battery component, you could place some of a product called Press N Seal around the base.

It sticks differently than regular plastic wrap and may just be your "missing link."

It's easily placed and easily removable. Can be reused, too, for example, when you need to replace the batteries.

Thank you @GingerPeach .  That's what I was thinking about actually. I have some and just used it to save my lunch today.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Thank you everyone.  I've already got river rock that I could use.  I tried putting the rocks in there when I got the vase yesterday, and they seemed heavy and I was afraid I might break the glass.  That probably wouldn't happen though.

I'm now thinking of using the river rock that I have or buying the glass crystals and using them.  I would imagine the glass crystals would be much lighter than the stones, aren't they?   @mspatmac  mentioned changing it around, and that could more easily be done with stones or crystals than with sand.  I found some acorns on Amazon that might be interesting for fall.  If I could find small pumpkins that would be good, too.  

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

As long as the battery compartment is on snug and sand can't get in, there shouldn't be a problem.  By the way very nice display!!!!

Honored Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

As long as the battery compartment is on snug and sand can't get in, there shouldn't be a problem.  By the way very nice display!!!!

Thank you @spiderw .  That wasn't my display though.  I took it from Pottery Barn.  I'm getting ready to post my pictures right now.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spiderw   @GingerPeach   @mspatmac   @CANDLEQUEEN   @on the bay   @Leggett28  @GCR18   @hookedonq   @Oznell   I've been playing around with the hurricane and would like your opinions.  I've taken pictures of it without anything, with river stones, on books, on one book only and without books.  Would it look better with clear crystals or sand?  Do you have any suggestions?  

I appreciate everyone's input.

BC8F9D00-188E-45C7-A81E-6E5AF4FB5B6C.jpeg29CBC8DF-F2D9-4EAF-BAC4-FCEE55B7AE68.jpeg9E9A4543-E75A-4ED2-BA57-80E7CD4B628F.jpeg8257487C-7A27-45C8-9951-5723E647E0CE.jpeg

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

I'm loving the second image with the pebbles/rocks. It could perhaps use another layer.

Also loving that flowy bowl on your coffee table.

Henry should photobomb everything!

You have a lovely home. It's serene and comfortable. Heart

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you @GingerPeach .  I thought it probably needed another layer.  Do you like it with books or without?

I didn't even notice Henry was in the picture.  LOL!

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I'm always a fan of using books, @NickNack.

Here is my coffee table last Christmas. I've got books all over the place! But maybe that's just me.     

What I do need is a Henry! 

DSCN0428 (2).JPG

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I'm always a fan of using books, @NickNack.

Here is my coffee table last Christmas. I've got books all over the place! But maybe that's just me.     

What I do need is a Henry! 

DSCN0428 (2).JPG

That's so pretty @GingerPeach !  I love your ornaments.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I have many old books I bought at school book sales and inherited.  I place them in different areas and put photos on them or other decor.  I like the look of the candle on books.  I would put more stones in the glass and also change it for the seasons.  I would put autumn leaves in the jar for the fall season, maybe some small garland for Christmas.  Once you start experimenting with different looks you will find the ones you love and make you feel good!!!!  Your home is lovely.