Honored Contributor

I bought this hurricane from Pottery Barn and have a flameless candle in it.  Pottery Barn shows it with sand around the candle, and I would like to do that, too.

Can I put sand around a flameless candle?  When I need to change the batteries I'm wondering how I will do that.  Should I wrap something like Glad wrap around the bottom of the candle before pouring the sand in?  I'm just trying to figure out a practical way to do this.  

Top picture is without sand, and bottom picture is with sand.

1B5E65BC-BEE6-4360-B75A-B838026751F2.jpeg8421442F-EFE9-4BC0-90B2-7112A9F40C67.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Re: Flameless Candles And Sand

👍

Honored Contributor

I don't think there would be an issue with the sand.  Covers are on pretty tight.  You could use like a painters tape around the lid of you wanted.  It would stick, but not cause damage when removing.

Super Contributor

Very pretty and I have one of my flameless candles in a similar holder with sand and sea glass in the base, no problems. (It is a very old CI candle that has a nice long battery run time between replacements). Post a photo when you get yours set up!

Honored Contributor

@hookedonq wrote:

Very pretty and I have one of my flameless candles in a similar holder with sand and sea glass in the base, no problems. (It is a very old CI candle that has a nice long battery run time between replacements). Post a photo when you get yours set up!

Thanks good to know @hookedonq .  I will post a picture when it's finished.  I'd love to see the picture of yours with the sand and sea glass.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Love that handsome hurricane, @NickNack ,  with its clean lines!  Looks great, with and without sand-- enjoy.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack -

River stones would be nice in it too

or sand with shells (or sea glass like @hookedonq  said).

I think just the plain sand doesn't present as well as just the plain lantern, or with something on the sand.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Sand will be very nice, and it should be pretty easy, also you might want to think about the Glass stones that Pottery Barn sells, those are so pretty as well. I have a lot of Pottery Barn lanterns, they are such good quality! I am sure yours will be very pretty!

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  Love your Pottery Barn purchase and you have many options. I have a couple similar pieces from PB and have used sand, sprigs of holly, small shells, stones both river and glass, PB vase fillers, tiny pumpkins and whatever catches my eye. I like to move things around and change thing up, with such versatile pieces it's easy to do.  Enjoy

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

If you're worried about the sand getting into the battery component, you could place some of a product called Press N Seal around the base.

It sticks differently than regular plastic wrap and may just be your "missing link."

It's easily placed and easily removable. Can be reused, too, for example, when you need to replace the batteries.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.