Respected Contributor

First the dishwasher now the microwave!

We bought the house we are currently living in 9 years ago.  Before we moved in we did some remodeling including replacing all the appliances in the kitchen.  Over the summer our dishwasher died and tonight our microwave stopped working.  What's up with that?

Respected Contributor

Re: First the dishwasher now the microwave!

Whatever it is it's catching. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nine years is a good life for an appliance.  How long do you expect them to last?  If you've had a refrigerator last that long, count your blessing and say a little prayer every time you open it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Yep, that's how it happens. Be on the lookout for the next problem, they say that these things usually come in three's. Been there, I'm a believer :-). 

Respected Contributor

I was told by an appliance salesperson microwaves are not made to last more than 3 years and other appliances are not far behind.

Honored Contributor

Appliances today don't last anywhere near what they used to.  😕

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well if you bought them all together, makes sense replace them all together.  Sorry.  I know that stinks, but nine years is pretty good actually.  If you amoritze it per use.

Although my microwave is the same one my parents bought me for my first apartment like 20 plus years ago.  LOL>  I actually just metioned that to them and they couldn't believe it.  My mom was like, we hadn't even retired yet and they are retired over 20 years.  LOL

It did catch on fire once.  LOL>  I thought I would replace it then....  but  when I wiped out the burn marks, it didn't look so bad.  So I tested it to see if it worked and it did!  That had to be many years ago.  I really don't use but for a quick minute or two, when I do use it.  No problems since.  

Honored Contributor

Mine last longer and I don't do anything special.....

Respected Contributor

We had that happen.....first it was the microwave then the air fryer.  I think the microwave was about 10 years old.  Air fryer was the handle breaking. 

The nice thing about new appliances is all the upgrades to the bells and whistles. 

Respected Contributor

@ninjawife wrote:

We bought the house we are currently living in 9 years ago.  Before we moved in we did some remodeling including replacing all the appliances in the kitchen.  Over the summer our dishwasher died and tonight our microwave stopped working.  What's up with that?

@ninjawife 

Unfortunately that seems to be normal. Same thing happened to us, refrigerator & dishwasher died at about 10 years old.