Honored Contributor

Re: First Mouse of the Season

Plese get a humane trap.  There is a food chain you know.

Humane Catch and Release Indoor / Outdoor Mouse Traps Pack of 2 - Easy Set Durable Traps, Safe for Children, Pets and Humans - Instantly Remove Unwanted Vermin from Your Home

Respected Contributor

J8Re: First Mouse of the Season

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

Re: J8Re: First Mouse of the Season

We had a problem a few years ago.  Once they get in it's hard to get rid of them...it was a full out war with DH setting up traps around the house.  They finally got caught and DH went around the outside trying to seal up any spot he could find. 

We got lucky last year....fingers crossed we'll be lucky again this year and they will avoid our house!

Honored Contributor

One thing I absolutely cannot stand is mice.  I am so determined to keep them out.  Our pest control takes care of making sure they stay away.  If I saw one, I would go to a hotel too.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Okay, people! We have a real mouse mystery. DH was cleaning out his closet yesterday and found 6 wrapped cough drops inside his fleece slippers. Our br is on the main floor of our house. The cough drops were in a jar on his desk upstairs! The extension hose of my vacuum was crammed full of cheese puffs. We found the brand new bag of them shredded open in the pantry. There were so many cheese puffs in the hose it had to have taken all night to move them from the pantry to the laundry room where the vac was hanging. How did they get them into a hose hanging on the wall?! I had just used the vac hose the day before.  I ordered humane traps but now I just want them all to die! 
Thank goodness for Lock&Lock or I would be throwing away everything in the pantry. Do mice stock or hoard food like squirrels? 

Honored Contributor

@Trailrun23 

My guess is you most likely have a rat, or ground squirrel in your house!   At least you know where to start setting traps.  

Respected Contributor

@Scooby Doo" I didn't know they were there until I opened a kitchen cabinet and a little one was swinging on the shelf like a trapeze artist. " Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

5 tips for getting rid of vermin - MoneySense

Esteemed Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

Okay, people! We have a real mouse mystery. DH was cleaning out his closet yesterday and found 6 wrapped cough drops inside his fleece slippers. Our br is on the main floor of our house. The cough drops were in a jar on his desk upstairs! The extension hose of my vacuum was crammed full of cheese puffs. We found the brand new bag of them shredded open in the pantry. There were so many cheese puffs in the hose it had to have taken all night to move them from the pantry to the laundry room where the vac was hanging. How did they get them into a hose hanging on the wall?! I had just used the vac hose the day before.  I ordered humane traps but now I just want them all to die! 
Thank goodness for Lock&Lock or I would be throwing away everything in the pantry. Do mice stock or hoard food like squirrels? 

To answer your question, yes they do.  Hopefully you are only dealing with mice as opposed to a rat!! Yikes.

I had a weird thing happen at my house as well.  I had a bunch of Christmas themed stuffed animals in a large trash bag in my attic.  Got them out at Christmastime and discovered a bunch of dried corn kernels in the bottom of the trash bag.  Thought maybe that's what one of the animals was stuffed with, but none of them had holes or any sign of wear.  And there was no hole in the trash bag, so I have no idea how the corn got there.  Mystery.

Outside talking to my next door neighbor one day, several months later, and she tells me she had recently discovered that she had mice.  The way she discovered this was that her neck wrap that she wore for pain had been torn open and the weights (dried corn kernels) were scattered about.  Mystery solved.  But so weird.  

Respected Contributor

The droppings are very tiny so pretty sure it's a mouse. We had a squirrel in our attic years ago and they make no attempt to be quiet...so it's not a squirrel. The humane traps arrived early so DH already has them out...along with the wooden death traps. He put those out yesterday. So far, nothing.The instructios say it can take weeks to catch a mouse. No way can i wait that long!

Respected Contributor

The corn kernals would freak me out. I guess you never know they are in your house until you see evidence. They are so quiet and sneaky. Hate the varmints!