Respected Contributor

Re: First Mouse of the Season

Put those traps out now!  First they send the scouts, and if all clear, the whole fam moves in!  Further, I know  this is kinda yucky but if possible (and obviously not in the house), but if possible leave the trapped ones out to discourage the friends)! We did that in the garage- it totally works! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

Put those traps out now!  First they send the scouts, and if all clear, the whole fam moves in!  Further, I know  this is kinda yucky but if possible (and obviously not in the house), but if possible leave the trapped ones out to discourage the friends)! We did that in the garage- it totally works! 

@Skyegirl21 

Yeah, but doesn't that stink??

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags No, they are teeny, and garage open quite a bit...!

Frequent Contributor

Sorry, but I am laughing and actually snorting at your story! I can almost see that little mouse swinging on the shelf!! You have a knack for it, don't forget it...and don't stop writing. I like you already, thanks for the great comment! 

Respected Contributor

Naive city dweller reporting here.  We never had them until last spring when work was being done on the house and garage door was left open.  Workers tried to get it but failed.  

I thought we were the only ones.  Then we heard neighbors across the street complaining the "were back "again!  What's this "again" stuff?

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

For a reason I can't exp!ain, I'm am terribly afraid of rodents. To the point where I scream if I see one. Spiders, centipedes and snakes, no problem.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Years ago my ex and I were redoing the bathroom upstairs and we started getting mice. Anyhow, we put a trap up there. The next day I was making something in the toaster oven and there was a smell. Under the oven was a dead mouse with a trap on it. Never figured how it got downstairs with a trap on it and up on the table and under that oven.

Honored Contributor

Those little critters can and will get in.  We have the invasion every fall.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

In Tracy Kidder's book "House" where he follows builders as they build a house, there's a story of a builder who refuses to hand over the keys to a new house until a mouse has moved in. That builder has a superstition that the house is unfit for people until something else is living there. One of his subcontractors knows his superstition and keeps some wild mice in cages that he then unleashes in the house as construction is finishing. The subs don't get paid until the job is done and the builder won't finish the job until he sees a mouse or mice in the house. So, for the subs to get paid, one unleashes a mouse in the house near the end of the job. The builder then sees the mouse, decides the house is ready for people, finishes the job, and turns over the keys to the homeowners. 

I haven't had mice for a couple of years but that's due to feral cats getting fed in my backyard. There are a few cats always around the house and they intercept any mice heading this way. My indoor cats just ignore mice, so feeding the feral strays keeps things in check. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@AuntG   I'm the same way.  Silly as it may be, I'm terrified of mice/rats.

And not only silly, but as ridiculous as it may be, I've even gone to a hotel,

not once but twice because of a mouse.  Loaded up the kids and told

hubby to let me know when it's safe to come back. Both time the mouse

was caught overnight.  One time I was at my computer

desk and one was dangling from  the AC vent right over my head. I shudder

now just remembering.

We live in the couintry, so rodents should be expected, but thankfully

we haven't had a big problem with them, otherwise I'd have a huge

hotel bill.  haha   I sure hope I don't jinx myself by saying this, but I haven't seen one

in my house in many years, since I've started using those

plug in things, plus I have two ferel cats outside that I feed.