Esteemed Contributor

I live in Arizona so it sounds counter intuitive to have a fireplace but I have a wood burning fireplace. Haven't used it in years. It's either not cold enough to use it or it's a no burn day because of pollution. The few days a year that we could use it it's usually why bother. But it does look nice. We keep battery operated candles in there. I did notice when I went outside yesterday mid morning someone was burning theres. We get excited when it gets below 80.

Super Contributor

I've switched out wood burning fireplaces for ceramic gas logs over the years. Love the look, ease of maintenance, and clean burn. Wood fires irritate my lungs and I can't stand the smell of smoke. However, with the price of natural gas rising this year I doubt I will use my fireplace much. During our catastrophic winter power grid failure in Feb 2021, that fireplace saved my life and kept me warm!  I have the chimney inspected every year even though there is no buildup -- just want to make sure it's structurally safe. My current house is 46 years old.

Respected Contributor

We live in a pretty mild climate.  That being said, all of our homes have had wood burning fireplaces until the home we live in now. It has a gas fireplace.  I really like it. We do have an outdoor wood burning fireplace that we enjoy when we want a "real" fire.  I don't miss having to clean up after an inside fire.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had a real fireplace in the past.  Loved it.  It came in handy during a snowstorm  when we were without electricity for 61 hrs.

Now I have a gas fireplace.  Nice, but very costly to run.  I don't use it because of that.

Honored Contributor

NO, I hate fireplaces--think they are a huge waste of space. I have one in my apartment and have never used it and probably never will. I would put in a gas fire place tho---but never a wood burning one---

Honored Contributor

We have a fire place but don't often use it because it draws heat out of the house.

The fireplace was wonderful when we had the massive blizzard here!

Respected Contributor

Designed our own home and had a modern long rectangular electric f/p installed with remote.  Does various colors, etc. and heats if you need it also.  Very attractive whether on or off. Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

@Chessa35 wrote:

We have a wood burning fireplace . There are glass doors that close . There is also a blower unit ; so the heat comes into the room and not all up the chimney. We don't seem to get smoke or a smell in the room .

There is a log you you can burn at the beginning of the season to remove the creosote from the inside of the chimney.(Usually, a fire could happen because of that build up.) once a year we do a chimney sweep . I feel any maintenance is well worth it . 
  Sure , gas is easier to maintain; but it's Gas .  The possibility of gas exploding bother me much more . People love them though . Pros and cons on both .

@Chessa35 

The likelihood of my husband having a heart attack (or me) at our age and with our health is more of a sure thing than gas explosion from a fireplace.  I have never had one, neither has any known person in my state.

Honored Contributor

We just recently moved into our home and this one has a Gas Fireplace, our previous home that we had for 30 years has a wood burning fireplace!

I like both for different reasons! Wood Burning, I love the smell, and the heat that it gives off and it just looks so pretty burning. I hate the cleanup though, and wood is expensive!

Gas Fireplace we love, its simple and easy and our has a blower so it generates heat, and no work!!! Now it doesn't look as real as a wood burning fireplace, but they make them now that do...

I never felt our wood burning fireplace was unsafe, but yes, you do have to make sure it is out before going to bed,etc.......So I think it really is just a matter of preference! My husband says he definitely prefers Gas...

Valued Contributor

Then  by all means get or keep your gas fireplace ! The poster asked a question and I answered . It wasn't an answer to your question.