Super Contributor

Any ideas on how to decorated the inside of a fireplace?

Honored Contributor

@crazered,

I used to put pretty birch logs inside ours. We had real birch trees around but I have also seen artificial ones.

Some people put different heights of battery operated candles in them.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I've seen candle displays inside a fireplace. First remove the screen, tools, log rack and clean it out.  Get a long multiple candle holder, with staggered levels, that would normally be used as a centerpiece, and arrange it inside the fireplace.  The other option would be to get an assortment of separate holders in varying heights, to give a similar effect. Depending on what you like, this can be done with votives or pillar candles. 

I also think it could be pretty to get a beautifully painted large bowl or vase (talavera or similar, or even more understated to fit your taste) and fill it with a professionally designed floral arrangement that would complement the room decor.  It would never go in my house but I think talavera painting is striking.  

Respected Contributor

some of what google pulled up:

lanterns

stacks of books

log stack (with ends visible)

old suitcases

tall baskets of flowers

plants

chalkboard drawing of a fire

turning it into shelves to display items

Respected Contributor

I see some excellent suggestions here. My advice would be concerning whether the fireplace is functional. If it is a working fireplace I would not compromise the ability to use it as a secondary heat source. Unfortunately, stuff happens like in Texas a couple of years ago. You could need to use it as your only source of warmth.

If the fireplace is not functional, then treat it as a showcase. Back in the day, we had a collection of forest gnomes and wood spirits that were displayed on varying heights of wooden shelves (think cat climbing tree.) Our fireplace was functional so we surrounded it rather than using the firebox. Blue and white vases and jars might be more appropriate in a more formal home. Have fun and enjoy your new feature.

Honored Contributor

They make fireplace candelabras.  It's a great place to burn candles.

Scrolled Copper Fireplace Candelabra | Kirklands Home

Trusted Contributor

I like all the ideas!  flowers or logs or candles seems the most common.  What about a fish tank!  LOL

Respected Contributor

Just Google: how to decorate the inside of the fireplace. Lots of good ideas. The last thing I would've thought of was a collection of succulents, which would be great in the summertime. 

Fireplace with plants

Respected Contributor

Another good idea that would look nice all year long, logs wrapped in little white lights. 

Fill your non-working fireplace with logs wrapped in battery operated lights

Honored Contributor

If you want the look of a fire, there are electronic screen inserts which come with or w/o heaters. They are sold by size according to your fireplace opening.