Respected Contributor

Re: Firepit Patio- Hot or Not?

I can appreciate one, but only where there is a enough space to afford a true firepit.  This firepot, however, is downright silly to me.

Additionally, the space in this scene is too small, is crowded and overdone, making it potentially dangerous.  Adding a tub of alcohol is the last thing it needs.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

I can't get out of chairs like that.  So it's a no.

Respected Contributor

Great, except that it is summer and that would be super hot down here in the deep south.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have always been a camper so a nice bonfire appeals to me. At our home in Pa we had a firepit - however it was far back in the yard so as to not disturb our neighbors. However, as soon as we would light a fire all the neighbors would come out to enjoy it with us.Every year on Halloween night , when trick or treat was over at 8PM we would light up the fire and have a block party until around 11Pm.All the neighbors would come over, tell ghost stories to scare the kids - then take them home - house to house - on a hayride in our trailer pulled by our tractor. Those "kids" are all adults now but still remember the great Halloweens we had.

Valued Contributor

Hot---

We had a dark bronze firepit just off of the patio area. We used duraflame logs to keep the smoke low and cleaner burning, but it hasn't been used in a couple of years because of fire restrictions due to drought. The evenings get a chilly here and the warmth of the firepit was nice. At the end of last summer, we had a horrible hailstorm and baseball-sized hail destroyed the screen and top of the pit. Don't know yet if we will replace it.

Honored Contributor

I would rather have that than something permanently anchored into the ground/patio/deck. We wanted to get a small on for our deck but the risk of fire due to plastic siding is a HUGE no-no with our home owners insurance; they won't cover ANY damage from fire if it's due to the pit.

That ended it for us.

Honored Contributor

No to fire pits; I'm more of a brushpile type of gal.   

Esteemed Contributor

ITA, that's a fire pot and not a fire pit!  A portable firepit should have a wire mesh screen to keep the embers down.

I think they are a regional thing. We have a brick fire pit in the yard, was a DIY project from Menard's. We use it often, especially the chilly early fall nights.

Throw on some applewood or cherrywood and it's wonderful. No close neighbors so that's not a concern.

Honored Contributor

No, too dangerous. 

Honored Contributor

We have a true fire pit at our camp as do most of our neighbors.  Everyone brings their own chairs and hangs out until late at night, drinking and snacking and sometimes roasting hot dogs.

I don't enjoy a wood fire. All of that smoke make me cough and irritates my lungs, I am usually inside missing all of the excitement.

while we were in Florida this past February, the campground had a gas lit fire on their patio,  I really liked that and I could sit out and enjoy it without coughing.  I would love to have a gas fed fire pit here in PA too.  I have looked into them that are fueled with propane.  It is on my things to buy list.

This one is only $90 and would be great for camping.  It almost looks like a wood burning fire.

IMG_0235.JPG