Trusted Contributor

Re: Finding it difficult to find a rental

I don't know what part of the country you're in.

When I made a move back from the East coast to the West coast I had some time to spare and I wanted to short-term rent. I was still on the East coast and wanted to rent an apartment for a short time and I could not find any that would rent for less than one year.

I ended up staying with a friend.

The rental market is very tight here on the West coast but some landlords like month-to-month tenants.

The problem with AirBNB or VRBO is that you may be looking at some extremely high rent for the short time. A landlord can make several times over the amount of rent they'd get on a long term lease, doing the short term lease via one of those entities. IMO this is another reason that rentals are so tight now.

Your other option could be to put your furniture in storage and stay in one of those Extended Stay, Homewood Suites, etc. type of places.

Esteemed Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

I don't know what part of the country you're in.

When I made a move back from the East coast to the West coast I had some time to spare and I wanted to short-term rent. I was still on the East coast and wanted to rent an apartment for a short time and I could not find any that would rent for less than one year.

I ended up staying with a friend.

The rental market is very tight here on the West coast but some landlords like month-to-month tenants.

The problem with AirBNB or VRBO is that you may be looking at some extremely high rent for the short time. A landlord can make several times over the amount of rent they'd get on a long term lease, doing the short term lease via one of those entities. IMO this is another reason that rentals are so tight now.

Your other option could be to put your furniture in storage and stay in one of those Extended Stay, Homewood Suites, etc. type of places.

I was just looking and figured it out. Who could afford $200 a day for six to 8 months.  Unless I am missing something that site won't work for us.

Honored Contributor

Around here, people move into a large camper or mobile home until their home is ready.  You buy it, then sell it when you move out of it.

Trusted Contributor

when we move we are thinking of ussing PODS or another company.  More do it yourself, but cheaper.  Moving companies do more of the packing and moving, however way more expensive.

Good luck in your search.

Trusted Contributor

I guess all parts of the country are different.  In the suburban area where we live, there were a few apartment complexes that did month-to-month rentals.  We know several families that have done that when they were building homes.

But, I've also read recently that the rental market is pretty tight.  So, maybe places aren't doing that anymore.

I say that you should grab what you can.  It's just for a short time, and is all part of the cost of the move....which is always higher than we hope it will be.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Esteemed Contributor

@ruthbe wrote:

when we move we are thinking of ussing PODS or another company.  More do it yourself, but cheaper.  Moving companies do more of the packing and moving, however way more expensive.

Good luck in your search.

We are just having them move the furniture and any heavy stuff to the rental.  We will move everything else ourselves.  Everything except everyday stuff is already stored in my sisters garage they just had built across from their house. That is one really good thing is we have free storage.

Esteemed Contributor

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

I guess all parts of the country are different.  In the suburban area where we live, there were a few apartment complexes that did month-to-month rentals.  We know several families that have done that when they were building homes.

But, I've also read recently that the rental market is pretty tight.  So, maybe places aren't doing that anymore.

I say that you should grab what you can.  It's just for a short time, and is all part of the cost of the move....which is always higher than we hope it will be.

The one complex we found would have no problem doing a six month then month to month if we need more. But it is so dang expensive. They are very nice and are more like townhouses then apartments. But they even have a lawn maitence and snow removal fee on top of the high rent.  I think by the weekend he will realize he has to go higher. I toltally get his reasoning. If you can save on the rental it's best. Seems wasteful to go to high if we don't need to.  We can go higher with no issues. But we are just trying to save where we can. My parents have always been frugal. That's why they are able to build this house in retirement. We just have a lot going on. And being out of town next week until Thursday just makes it more of a time crunch. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Never mind. You have properties to choose from; it's the cost that you don't like.

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Never mind. You have properties to choose from; it's the cost that you don't like.

Somewhat.  We actually found a couple in the price he wants. The bigger issue is nobody wants to lease less then a year. Even if we went higher most of the rentals are still going to be one year. Except the one we found. The reasoning he would go month to month is it's a family house and they have no mortgage to pay. So it doesn't matter much to them if it's a long term or short te. The owner actually said he had just rented to a doctor who was building. We might end up calling this person back. I just think my dad wants to exaust all his cheaper possibilities first.

Esteemed Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

The one complex we found would have no problem doing a six month then month to month if we need more. But it is so dang expensive. They are very nice and are more like townhouses then apartments. But they even have a lawn maitence and snow removal fee on top of the high rent.  I think by the weekend he will realize he has to go higher. I toltally get his reasoning. If you can save on the rental it's best. Seems wasteful to go to high if we don't need to.  We can go higher with no issues. But we are just trying to save where we can. My parents have always been frugal. That's why they are able to build this house in retirement. We just have a lot going on. And being out of town next week until Thursday just makes it more of a time crunch. 

I think you have to accept that nothing is going to be 100% ideal.  You want somewhere clean and in a safe neighborhood.  You don't want to sign a full lease.  You don't want to spend a lot of money.  And you have a time crunch.  

Something's got to give somewhere.  No one wants to spend more than they have to, but if you've found somewhere that meets all of your requirements and your parents can afford the higher rent (which you said earlier), then why not just do that and be done with it?  If you hold out for something that meets all of your criteria, you could easiy end up with nothing.  IMO - especially with your upcoming surgery - it's just not worth the stress.