Honored Contributor

Re: Finding it difficult to find a rental

Getting an apartment in under a week is tough.  I think I'd talk with a realtor that deals in rentals.  You aren't going to have much of a selection or choice with the short notice.

Trusted Contributor

try trulia. You also might want to try AIRBNB.. They are mostly short term, but you might be able to get longer.  But the places are most of the time small and furnished.

Esteemed Contributor

We need to move in aug 8th and 9th. The short notice hasn't been the real issue. The biggest issue is everyone wanting a year lease.

Trusted Contributor

Nice thing about airbnb...you can check prices online.  It also gives you pictures, and you can check dates for availabliity.  I think most of them can be short notice.  If they have availability.  We are planning a big move early next year.  We need a temporary home, and are planning to use airbnb.  Need a place hopefully for only a month or less.  No place will rent for that amout of time and hotels are way too expensive.

Trusted Contributor

It is hard to be a landlord. Of course they want a lease. You may need to offer to pay a bit extra each month as a trade-off for a lease. Or if you prove to be good renters, a landlord may let you out of a lease early without penalty.  Rentals are in low supply and high demand in many areas, so landlords can get picky.

Esteemed Contributor

I downloaded AIRBNB but can't find anywhere to put my city in to see if there is anything.
Esteemed Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

It is hard to be a landlord. Of course they want a lease. You may need to offer to pay a bit extra each month as a trade-off for a lease. Or if you prove to be good renters, a landlord may let you out of a lease early without penalty.  Rentals are in low supply and high demand in many areas, so landlords can get picky.

My dad even tried offering them $100 more. They wouldnt budge. We did find one that said they would let you out of it if they had new renters lined up. But that is two big of risk to take.

Honored Contributor

Do you have movers lined up?  You should probably already have them scheduled by now, too.  You're running out of time.  I don't understand why he won't take the one that the owner is willing to rent to you short term like you want.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nicknack wrote:

Do you have movers lined up?  You should probably already have them scheduled by now, too.  You're running out of time.  I don't understand why he won't take the one that the owner is willing to rent to you short term like you want.

He called movers today. It's a local short distance and only the heavy furniture so he called two men and a truck.  He won't commit yet to the one because he thinks he will find something cheaper. But reality is there is nothing out there that anyone is willing to do a sixth month lease.  We will probably commit to something this weekend. We have no choice. Because we won't be home next week. I probably won't get out of the hospital until Thursday afternoon. The good thing is almost everything left is just our everyday stuff. Everything has mostly been moved to my sisters for storage.  I knew what a rental was going to cost. I think he is still in denial.  But by this weekend we have to have something.  My dad went and seen their financial advisor today. He may know someone who would be willing to rent. He is going to find out.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I completely understand why most wouldn't agree to a 6-8 month lease.  They would rather get the place rented, and not have to worry about it for awhile.  With a short-term lease, they'll have to find new tenants sooner, which can be a lot of trouble especially combined with what they have to do to the property in between tenants.  It's not cost-effective or time-effective.

I would grab a short-term lease if I were you, even if everything is not ideal (monthly rent or whatever).  I doubt you'll find exactly what you want, at the rent you want, for such a short period of time.  IMO it's going to be a tradeoff:  A short-term lease for more money than your family planned to pay, or a year-long lease, which is longer than you want, but for sure would give you far more options re the amount of rent and everything else.

JMO. Good luck!!