Honored Contributor

Re: Finding it difficult to find a rental

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

Never mind. You have properties to choose from; it's the cost that you don't like.

Somewhat.  We actually found a couple in the price he wants. The bigger issue is nobody wants to lease less then a year. Even if we went higher most of the rentals are still going to be one year. Except the one we found. The reasoning he would go month to month is it's a family house and they have no mortgage to pay. So it doesn't matter much to them if it's a long term or short te. The owner actually said he had just rented to a doctor who was building. We might end up calling this person back. I just think my dad wants to exaust all his cheaper possibilities first.

That's because landlords usually have mortgages to pay and an empty house/unit means they're losing a lot of money every month. That's bad business.

Sign a years lease and pay the fees for breaking it; be honest about it up front. I've accepted that arragement a few times (I own rental properties). You're not going to find a cheap way to do this; your requirements are such that it's going to cost money. That's just how it is.

The guy who owns the house free and clear and is willing to rent month to month? Go for it. It's foolish to look around in the hopes of trying to save a few bucks based on all you've stated. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

Never mind. You have properties to choose from; it's the cost that you don't like.

Somewhat.  We actually found a couple in the price he wants. The bigger issue is nobody wants to lease less then a year. Even if we went higher most of the rentals are still going to be one year. Except the one we found. The reasoning he would go month to month is it's a family house and they have no mortgage to pay. So it doesn't matter much to them if it's a long term or short te. The owner actually said he had just rented to a doctor who was building. We might end up calling this person back. I just think my dad wants to exaust all his cheaper possibilities first.

That's because landlords usually have mortgages to pay and an empty house/unit means they're losing a lot of money every month. That's bad business.

Sign a years lease and pay the fees for breaking it; be honest about it up front. I've accepted that arragement a few times (I own rental properties). You're not going to find a cheap way to do this; your requirements are such that it's going to cost money. That's just how it is.

The guy who owns the house free and clear and is willing to rent month to month? Go for it. It's foolish to look around in the hopes of trying to save a few bucks based on all you've stated. 

So what kind of fees is required usually if you break it? I was assuming you would just be on the hook for sixth months even if you didn't live there.I didn't realize there may just be a fee if you break it. I will bring that up to my dad. Not sure he realizes it could just be a fee also. You don't know my dad very well. He acts like $200 more a month is going to break them. It's really silly. But sometimes I don't know what he is thinking. He creates extra drama where there doesn't need to be all the time.  I think he is going to realize by this weekend that he is going to have to go higher and increase the pool of inventory. I sent him a couple more links for houses that are more then he wants but he is going to have to look at higher because so far no one wants to lease short term.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

I agree.  Bless your Dad's heart for his trying to find the most affordable option, but unless he has extrordinary luck......time is running short.   Your parents are going to have to make a decision very soon.  Two options, pay more for a monthly rental or lease for a year and pay for breaking the lease.  Time constraints don't leave many options.

Since you do have income would you be willing to help with the extra cost of the monthly rental?

One other thing to keep in mind...I experienced it when building our small simple home.  Our new house was supposed to be ready for occupancy by September 1st or sooner.  It was the middle of October before it was totally completed.  Our lease was up on our apartment and had to stay with family until the home was finished.

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

I agree.  Bless your Dad's heart for his trying to find the most affordable option, but unless he has extrordinary luck......time is running short.   Your parents are going to have to make a decision very soon.  Two options, pay more for a monthly rental or lease for a year and pay for breaking the lease.  Time constraints don't leave many options.

Since you do have income would you be willing to help with the extra cost of the monthly rental?

One other thing to keep in mind...I experienced it when building our small simple home.  Our new house was supposed to be ready for occupancy by September 1st or sooner.  It was the middle of October before it was totally completed.  Our lease was up on our apartment and had to stay with family until the home was finished.

That's why we are trying to find one that will let us go month to month if we need more then six. We have already discussed using my money if we need to go higher. Truth be told we aren't going to be strapped if we have to go higher. It's just not wanting to waste money on rent that can go towards stuff for the new house.

My parents just left to go to the apartment complex where I used to live. They had some two bedrooms available soon. The only issue if it will be ready when we need it and the dog. Weight limit is 30 lbs. it's locally owned so maybe they would make a exception. They are one stories and right in the price range. I always loved living over there. There management was always so nice and maintenance was fast. Nice and quiet also.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday

Keep in mind there can be building delays!  I am just finishing up what you are going through. 

Your anticipated 6-8 months very well COULD turn into a year!  Weather, subcontractors, material delays....be sure to ADD time to your anticipated completion date.

We sold our house quickly which SHOULD have timed right for completion of our new build.  However, the builder is way behind.

In NYS, the buyer can insist on a 60 day closing which they did invoke and refused to rent back to us.

At first, we needed somewhere to rent for about a month only.  TRULY IMPOSSIBLE.

Do NOT hesitate.  Grab your best option and do it fast.  They change and disappear quickly.

Our best option was a Motel 6 (we have dogs), booking online was the BEST price.

The month delay turned into an 8 week delay.  Luckily, God provided a house for us in the mean time and we didn't have to go to the hotel.  It is a home that a school uses for International Exchange students who won't be back til the end of August. 

However, we were VERY lucky to find this. 

We searched and searched and NO rentals are available for the short term.  Only motels/hotels and Extended Stay/Resident Inn places, which in the long run, may work out cheaper for you since you don't have to committ to the full year AND can usually stay longer should your builder be behind as ours is.

August 18th is our new 'target' date.....

Good luck and my best advice is to be patient with each other!  LOL  Temp. housing with your stuff stored all over the place can be very 'trying'.  You may incur lots of 'clitches' in the process.

Honored Contributor

I would go for the year lease on the more affordable place. You have no way of knowing that your new home will be move in ready ontime, there are usually delays along the way and since you are looking at 6-8 months anyway, if there is even a 1 month delay, you are looking at an extra 3 months on the rental. If you go with the more affordable place, consider how much 3 extra months costs would be opposed to the more expensive rent, even if you don't have to sign a one year lease.
Good luck with the search and also your surgery.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

There is no way we can do a extended stay place. I am disabled and have to have my bed and chair. Also no way we are going to take the chance of having to pay $4000 in extra rent when we aren't going to be living there.

My parents went to where I used to live. They have a waiting list of 2 to 5 months and Chloe is to big. If he don't jump on the one soon that we found we are going to be homdlesss. My surgery may be delayed. Which would really help out.

Honored Contributor

I think at this point I would just go with a one year lease.

My daughter is a renter and her lease agreement says in the event you do break it, 2 months rent is due - if they rent within those 2 months then you get your $ back.  

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:
I know. I think my dad is having a little bit of sticker shock. I have been keeping a eye out for awhile. I knew what we were going to have to pay. He is just finding that out. But our biggest issue is finding someone to rent to us for 6 to 8 months. We don't want a year. We found one last night but the guy was like no. He wants someone more long term. There is a townhouse/apartment complex but they are so expensive. But we may end up having to do that because no one will rent a house to us short term.

@ccassaday  I had friends who bought a little house while their huge house was being built, as they didn't want or couldn't rent, and in this way, they made some money when it was sold.

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

That's why we are trying to find one that will let us go month to month if we need more then six. We have already discussed using my money if we need to go higher. Truth be told we aren't going to be strapped if we have to go higher. It's just not wanting to waste money on rent that can go towards stuff for the new house.

Exactly - and you've said things like this quite a bit.  So while moving is hard and stressful (for everybody), be grateful for that fact, and try to be positive; you won't be homeless as you said might happen.