Honored Contributor

Financial plans/goals for 2020

Not sure if people will be interested in this or not, or find it too personal to share about, but I thought I'd start a thread for those who want to share any financial plans or goals they have for the new year/new decade, and how they are going to accomplish them. 

We incurred quite a bit of debt this year in some major home repairs and remodeling. I was pretty proud of how much of the various projects I could actually pay cash for, but I did have to finance way more than is comfortable. 

I now have a repayment plan in my budget that I hope will eliminate it all in the next three years. It includes starting 2020 first quarter as 'no spend'. Very conservative grocery budget of $50 per week, and only spending for fuel and medical needs as they arise. Of course there is always the possibility of some emergency, but with that exception, we will be on a spending freeze for the first quarter of 2020

Anyone else have any financial goals or plans for the upcoming new year and care to share what it is or how you plan to make it happen?

Honored Contributor

Re: Financial plans/goals for 2020

We don't have any debt, vehicles, house paid for and pay CC's each month, so no interest charges.

Our only expenses are food, utilities, insurance, medical expenses and our 'plan' is to keep it that way!

Lord willing and the creek don't rise, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Fourth quarter is traditionally the most financially draining for us.  Nearly every friend & family member we know has their birthday and/or anniversary in the fourth quarter - and that means gifts galore.  It is also the time when license tabs renew for our cars, property tax is due, our medical plan hits us with the annual increase, both auto & home insurance increases hit at that time, too.  Add to that holiday gatherings (we do not do much in terms of Christmas gifts or decorating any longer, so that helps) - mostly meeting friends for a dinner out - but more that the rest of the year.  It is also the time of year we have the furnace & A/C inspections & repairs, the dryer vent cleaned, the ducts cleaned, etc.  This year I finally got around to getting a new car in November. There are just so many more things that hit our budget in the fourth quarter, so we usually feel drained in a variety of ways.  The new year brings a fresh start and a time for rebuilding those funds.  Fortunately, we are in a winter climate so we tend to stay tucked in more and spend less for at least the first quarter and that helps.  I often joke that every time we take the car out it costs so much money...because usually we are going somewhere to spend money - even if it is just to geet groceries.  The more we stay home the less we spend.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

We are retired and need way less income than when we were working. I didn't retire until the house and vehicles were paid for. We bought a new car this year and I wouldn't agree to the purchase unless we paid cash - I hate car payments - so depleted savings a bit. We are not huge spenders and have one vacation planned this year. We do need to spend a little on the house, maybe paint the exterior. I would love to get new windows but I know that would be a fortune - need to get some estimates.

My most recent splurge is hiring a cleaning lady to come in twice a month, I am thrilled and it is so worth the money!

Financial peace of mind is very important.

Respected Contributor

Having a plan like you do is huge, as Yogi Berra said "if you don't know where you're going you might not get there" lol.  

We did the same thing with remodelling, paid partial cash, partial Amex points cashed in for big box hardware store gift cards and the rest with 24 months interest free financing.  Some are coming due so same here time to buckle down and make sure those balances are paid so 25%+ interest rates aren't charged.  Good luck with your plan, we should compare notes 2nd quarter!

Honored Contributor

This thread does't just have to be about debt, but can be about savings/investing plans you might be considering too.

Honored Contributor

I'm like @KingstonsMom in that I don't have any debt.

I own my house, my car and I don't have any credit cards.  I use debit cards for everything.

Every month my financial advisor/company puts money into my account.  It's the interest from the money that's been invested.  The company is called Morgan Stanley.  They've done an amazing job. 

Periodically, my advicor calls me and tells me how it's going and if I'm doing good, etc.  He was my ex-son-in-llaw's fraternity brother and a friend of the family so I totally trust him and the company.

Also, my oldest daughter has her money invested with them.  She keeps an eye on my investments and connects with the same guy at Morgan Stanley.

I've been lucky thanks to the stock market being up so much this year because I've been able to live off of the interest accrued.  The original amount invested is continually growing.  Yea!

If I need money for something big (like when I bought my car) I call and they move it to me.

I have accountants who handle the taxes and what I need to do there.  They interact with my daughter too.

My late husband was very intelligent.  Way back when most people had no idea about starting their own retirement plan when self-employed (which he was).

After he died, I consolidated everything, sold back to business partners various projects so I don't have to deal with it anymore.

My husband liked to invest in the stock market.  It was fun.  We had a dish in our back yard and we'd buy stock and watch (in real time) the changes.

Eventually, he couldn't spend the time on it he needed to keep an eye on it, so he turned it over to people he trusted.

OK, so here's a little something people maybe wonder how some of these cities go bankrupt.  

I know this isn't the only way but it contributes to the problem.

My late husband had a business partner in one of his companies where he bought up blocks of mortgages and loans.  They were sometimes for houses.

It's been over 15 years since my husband died and I'm STILL getting letters from places in Illinois telling our company we owe bla bla in taxes.  

I used to call our old business partner and tell him about it because if he wanted to he could pay the back taxes and have the property.

Now, you're probably wondering why I made that statement.  Well...all of the properties have been bought and sold several times but some of them weren't recorded either at all or wrong, etc.

In other words that was tax money that the city could have collected from owners.  My husband and his partner kept meticulous records, but obviously some cities don't.

It used to happen a lot.  Now it just happens maybe once or twice a year.  It's on my mind because I just recently received one.  Not unusual since it's the end of the year.

In the beginning, I'd call the city comptroller and explain the situation to him/her.  I'd never get a call back so.....(kinda says something, doesn't it).

Anyway, I always tell people they think they don't have much but if they thought about it they have a lot more than they think they do.

Everything has SOME value.  

Right now I'm helping my middle daughter get through a divorce.  It's very, very expensive (i.e. lawyers, you name it).  But in the end it will be worth it for her.

If you don't have an executor, you need one.  You also need to have some kind of will.  

You can download wills from the internet.  Mine is more complicated so I just had my will revised.  I had to do that since my daughter got divorced.  I wanted to make sure the ex-son-in-law would never be able to 'handle' my granddaughter's inheritance.

The money, should something happen to my daughter, will all be put in a trust managed by someone OTHER than my other daughter (who's the executor).  

I didn't want my daughter (the executor) to have to deal with any drama from the middle daughter's divorce.

I did all of that because my husband worked his fanny off to make the money we have. 

I don't feel like he made it for me.  I feel like he made it for our 3 girls.  One day they will inherit it.

In the meantime I give them money when they need it.  

My advisor told me I could 'gift' them money each year.  That's what I've been doing.

I have a friend who's pretty well off.  Yet she has no children, she's a widow and has one sister who has adult children with grandchildren.

She is close to one daughter (teenager) of the sister's grandchildren.  I keep telling her she'd better make up a will and make allowances for at least this teenager so she'll have money to go to college if something happens to my friend.

I've never understood why people are so hung up talking about money.  I think it's really good that @Mominohio brought this subject up.

I learned some things by sitting next to my husband and running his businesses after he died.

However, I'm forever saying the education I provided for my oldest daughter has really paid off because all of this stuff makes my head spin.

Like I said, everyone needs to have some kind of will.  Go on the internet and print one out.  Fill it out and get it notarized.  Many banks will do it for free or for a small fee.

If you sat down right now you could probably think of a few people you'd like to see get something (doesn't have to be money) special to you.  Put that in the will.

When people you care about died (like my husband, my brother's girlfriend..she died driving him in the car), my husband died in my arms...58 years old, never sick, took no medicine..very healthy...you realize it can happen anytime, anyplace.

If the subect of money bothers you, you need to talk to someone who will educate you.  If you've ever worked in your life, you need to make sure the government gets as little as possible when you die.

Phew!  I'm exhausted.  Ha!  My head hurts.  I'm sorry I didn't advise very well, that's because I don't know a lot, but I do know you have more than you think and you need to protect what you do have.

Esteemed Contributor

We have a financial / wealth manager and they've been great. You can be prepared by reading and studying but the confirmation and shared ideas are so helpful. Social security and medicare is so complex. An extra set of eyes is nice.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

No plans.  Made all my plans prior to retirement in 2010 ... and things are working out better than I expected.

My only concern in the years leading up to my retirement was that I would be able to stay in my NYC apartment and maintain my lifestyle.  

Trusted Contributor

I'm just hoping to get rid of my easy pays!

Originally joined board 12-14-2004