Respected Contributor

Re: Financial plans/goals for 2020

Yes, life sometimes throws a curve ball at us and we have no control but credit cards are the worse ever, cell phones are amazing down load apps, price checkers, etc... If you are in 20's or 30's Dave Ramsey has books or just google him good advice for that age group. Suzie Orman is good too maybe for the older ones. Just remember you are the one that controls your CC. Always ask yourself do I want this or do I need it? Need comes 1st before any purchase. Never live paycheck to paycheck because you are over spending. To be debit free is a wonderful feeling but it takes time to get there, the reward is worth it.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio : I took out a home improvement loan in 2016 because we couldn't physically and financially move plus we love our area, considering a refinance. Really need to do a major purge on the whole house. Cut spending- spend less on gifts and really reduce gift list. Think twice before buying something- make sure it is necessary. Eat healthier and get more exercise. Stay positive and happy, count my many Blessings. Southern Bee

Valued Contributor

We are on schedule for a major kitchen remodel (long overdue) in April. We are knocking out a wall and installing new cabinets, appliances, flooring - all the usual. I won't retire until this project is paid off - probably in a couple of years. 

Respected Contributor

@qvcfreak 

I'm so sorry for your unexpected financial problem.

You're doing good, stay disciplined & you're on the road back quickly to financial recovery.

Wishing you best of luck.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you @sceniccoast  It’s been rough but I never waivered. Things happen, there was no accountability from anyone and at the end of the day it was my house and I had to pay. 

I moved into my new home Dec 31, 2015.  After living here 2 1/2 years the County sent a letter March 2018 that said I was only paying escrow on property and insurance, not the house. I gave $42,000 to have a very small house payment of $757 with escrow. Because of the backed taxes, my new mortgage payment for 24 months would now be $1575 beginning May 2018. I had just purchased a truck for my son Dec 2016  and there was no way I could pay everything. But I’m almost done and I’m guessing my mortgage payment will be about $907. 

Sadly it happened to 9 families, 2 had to sell and another lost their home this year. Mine wasn’t so bad because I gave a lot down to begin with. But 4 more months. Yay!

Honored Contributor

My goal is to stay on the same track I’ve been on for years; buy only what is needed, and stay debt free.   

I am expecting to replace the washer in the basement, my upright freezer, and my overflow refrigerator any time, as all are more than 20 years old.