Honored Contributor

Re: Finally taking down vertical blinds in my dining room!!! Yeah

I have Hunter Douglas vertical honey comb blinds in off white. I love them. When they are closed there is 100% privacy. You can open them to expose the whole patio door and they stack to the side to about 3 inches. Theu are made with soft fabric.

I have grandkids who touch them with peanut butter on their hands and they wash clean with no problems. They are very attractive and people always ask me what they are. They always want them until they price them. They are super expensive, but worth it. Mine were custom made.

I got rid of my vertical 2 inch blinds about 6 years ago and never looked back. Boy, were they ugly and too difficult to keep clean.product image

Honored Contributor

Carmie: I love that pic of verticals/drapes but honestly I want something lightweight .. have been out all day looking at different styles. YIKES...I almost had a near heart attack what some hunter douglas SILOHUETTES cost, but, I love the look! Over $1,000 for the size of my patio doors.

As for the grommet style I don't have anyone who goes in & out alot (just 2 small kitties) so this door is rarely used as its off our dining room area. The kitchen one is used alot.

Guess I'll be out scouting I'm thinking the pleated sheers may be a little heavy -- may wait longer and get the hunter douglas ones because I just love them. (If I knew how to post a pic I would). They are actually sheer blinds which are on a headrail and nice and light looking when they are lowered.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Always helpful and appreciated!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

I have the same size sliding door in the kitchen. I have a curtain rod with 2 panels on each side. I like it because it adds color to the room. I never close them, but they are wide enough to do so if I ever change my mind. The curtains have grommets, got them at pier 1.
Super Contributor

We have vertical blinds on our sliding glass door in the bedroom, it opens onto the lanai/patio. They were here when we bought the house, I don't like them really but I don't dislike them. It's nice to have the privacy at night, especially if our kids are home visiting and they want to stay up and swim at night and we want to go to bed. I do like the fact that the verticals block the light and sun from coming into the bedroom in the morning. However I don't think I would want drapes in there because with drapes you have to worry about dust, they are dust magnets. I much prefer blinds or some type of shade vs. drapes now, if I have to choose.

Honored Contributor

On 3/24/2015 homedecor1 said:

Carmie: I love that pic of verticals/drapes but honestly I want something lightweight .. have been out all day looking at different styles. YIKES...I almost had a near heart attack what some hunter douglas SILOHUETTES cost, but, I love the look! Over $1,000 for the size of my patio doors.

As for the grommet style I don't have anyone who goes in & out alot (just 2 small kitties) so this door is rarely used as its off our dining room area. The kitchen one is used alot.

Guess I'll be out scouting I'm thinking the pleated sheers may be a little heavy -- may wait longer and get the hunter douglas ones because I just love them. (If I knew how to post a pic I would). They are actually sheer blinds which are on a headrail and nice and light looking when they are lowered.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Always helpful and appreciated!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

The Hunter Douglas Silohuettes is exactly what I have. They are very lightweight and beautiful. Yes, they are expensive, but are worth it IMO. If I ever move, they are going with me. I have two patio doors in my home with these blinds. They are the best coverings I have ever owned for patio doors.

Honored Contributor

Carmie: well I decided to wait & save to get the Hunter Douglas Silohuettes as I know myself better than anyone -- if I ""just buy something"" after seeing them I'll be thinking WHY didn't I wait and get the hunter douglas???? They are the best answer. Thanks for sharing!
Super Contributor

Hunter Douglas has many nice products. About 10 yrs. ago or so I bought the Luminettes and they were wonderful. Unfortunately when I moved they didn't fit anywhere in the new place. Luminettes are verticals which look like sheer curtains.

My next place had wooden Hunter Douglas blinds already there and they were nice too.

Now I'm considering Silohuettes for a rather large window in my family room. I didn't get a price yet though.

“There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go.” Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

On 3/26/2015 Carmie said:
On 3/24/2015 homedecor1 said:

The Hunter Douglas Silohuettes is exactly what I have. They are very lightweight and beautiful. Yes, they are expensive, but are worth it IMO. If I ever move, they are going with me. I have two patio doors in my home with these blinds. They are the best coverings I have ever owned for patio doors.

This is what we have on our patio doors. We have one in our home and the other is on a sliding door in our casita.

However, I do have a neighbor that got a custom made plantation shutter sliding patio door and it looks terrific. We are in the southwest but I really don't think it matters where you live.

Honored Contributor

You will never be sorry with Hunter Douglas blinds. I also have the matching top down, bottom up blind for my kitchen window.

My youngest son was making a raspberry, blueberry, strawberry smoothie and when he was finished he turned the blender off and removed the lid. He accidently hit the "on" button while reaching for a glass and the mixture flew all over my kitchen blind, windows, counters, floor and ceiling.

My off white blind was COVERED with that berry mixture. It was a very heavy and thick mixture and I thought my blind was ruined. As soon as it happened, I opened the blind the whole way and held it straight while I used the sprayer on my faucet to spray water on the blind. The water and berry mixture rolled right off and into my sink (and counter.) I was amazed that it came out 100% and the blind still looks like new. No soap, no fuss and no stain.

I have this type of honeycomb blinds on other windows at my house that are made by Bali and some made by Blinds.com.. They are nice and look great, but not even half as good as the Hunter Douglas blinds I have in my kitchen and on my patio doors.