Esteemed Contributor

Re: Finally broke down and will install air conditioning for this summer

You'll be so glad you have it @SeaMaiden  when those hot summer temps flare up.  Living on the east coast, I can't imagine not having air conditioning.  Mine runs from May through mid October.  There have been times in March and April when I've had to use it too.  

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden , good for you.  You will LOVE it.  We installed and are delighted with ours.  LM

Honored Contributor

What a good decision.  For some reason, we resisted for a number of years installing a.c. in our old house.  We thought that our relatively moderate summers and the cross breezes that all the rooms get, would be enough...

It wasn't!  After we had our furnace system overhauled to include air conditioning, I just breathed a sigh of relief.  The hottest days don't have to be dreaded now.

Congrats and enjoy your summer to the fullest!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We live in Ohio without central air, and have just one window unit that we use some summers when it is really hot for long spells, in the lower level family room. 

We have no duct work in this house as it is electric baseboard heat. We've been told air conditioning unit would have to be installed in the attic, and I guess ducted through the walls up high. 

No thanks. 

I can't imagine the nightmare that would end up being as we don't have a 'real' attic or access except small hole in one bedroom closet that is so hard to access. 

The main level of the home has no windows at this time to even put one of those newer air conditioners that just puts the hose to the window, but nothing hanging outdoors. If we replace the living room windows, that would be an option, just a couple of window type units.

I look for the lack of air to be an issue if/when we sell.....maybe. The most likely buyer of our place at this time is going to be the Amish, as they own all the land surrounding us and are eager to get our two properties. But anyone else is going to be discouraged by the lack of air here, I'm sure. We have just learned to live with it.

Neither my husband or I were raised with air, and we've never had a house with air before this one either. Heck, I didn't even have an air conditioned car till 1997. Now that I don't ever want to live without again.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’m building a new home in an area where, traditionally, people haven’t had central ac.  My home will have it    

I consider it important to my health.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden  Good for you.  I lived in San Francisco for 4-1/2 years and there were days that were near 90.  Of course, the home we purchased had no air conditioning and it can be miserable.   Weather is changing everywhere so you made a good investment.  Enjoy it!

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@SeaMaiden  Good for you.  I lived in San Francisco for 4-1/2 years and there were days that were near 90.  Of course, the home we purchased had no air conditioning and it can be miserable.   Weather is changing everywhere so you made a good investment.  Enjoy it!

@Katcat1  Thankyou.It is an $$$ investment that is for sure!  But I know that every summer I am sweating in the house miserable...  this will be  a blessing.  Now we are both retired we are home all day and not at work in an airconditioned building.  I see it as a very necessary investment in our health not being so uncomfortable. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

In Maryland, I cannot imagine living in a home without AC.

We installed a geothermal system when we built and recently replaced all units after close to 30 years.  It was very expensive both times.  However, without it, our two story home would be a steam bath in the summer.

My sister-in-law lived in Florida for a while and bragged she NEVER used her AC.  Of course, she fails to mention the house was moldy, musty and smelled.

Heating/cooling circulates air and preserves your interior and worth every penny! 

Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

In Maryland, I cannot imagine living in a home without AC.

We installed a geothermal system when we built and recently replaced all units after close to 30 years.  It was very expensive both times.  However, without it, our two story home would be a steam bath in the summer.

My sister-in-law lived in Florida for a while and bragged she NEVER used her AC.  Of course, she fails to mention the house was moldy, musty and smelled.

Heating/cooling circulates air and preserves your interior and worth every penny! 

Enjoy!

@Witchy Woman  anb @Citrine1    Thank you for taking the time to post Smiley Happy   In Washington State we might have two months or three of 90 sometimes 90 plus days...   on a rare occations over 100 degrees for a few days.....the  rest of the time it is pleasant and comfortable.  But those hot days are MISERABLE.   We rarely ever have humidity.... thankfully.  

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio ....your situation is similar to mine....no way to put in duct work (ceiling cable heat).....I believe this is why we cannot sell our home....everything is up to date - windows, roof, large vinyl fence, new driveway....landscaped,  the clincher is no central air...