Honored Contributor

Re: Finally broke down and will install air conditioning for this summer

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@SeaMaiden ...I am jealous....we have an airconditioning unit in the wall of our family room and one in the bedroom....unfortunately our home is on a slab so central air would be very costly.  I have lived  in this home 40 years and would love central air..sigh...it's not going to happen.

Also, the way the house is laid out the zone cooling would be very expensive as well.  I am thinking the air is one reason we cannot sell the house.  Enjoy!!

@Mom2Dogs   I don't understand your comment about your house being on a slab.  All of my centrally air conditioned homes have been on slabs and none of the A.C. components have had anything to do with the slab.  The vents and the duct work was all in the attic.  The unit itself was outside on its own little slab.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden  The house is two story and no duct work, we have ceiling cable heat, so touching the ceilings could be a huge disaster, if a cable is cut.

Our upstairs does get hotter and oh my the bathroom gets really hot, try putting clothes on after a shower and drying off...still clammy!   I do have a window fan that fits the window and it really does a decent job of cooling down the bathroom.

When Dh snores I sleep in the other bedroom, also no air.....I just do not want an air conditioner sticking out the window at the front of the house.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 no duct work in the house....house is heated by ceiling cable heat...each room is on its own thermostat

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden  Congratulations! Imagine you'll find the entire home warmer in the winter, as well as much more comfortable during those summer months when it's humid and the pollen counts are high. AC isn't only for removing heat! You're resale value will increase; it's certainly worth the expense. Enjoy. Please donate those fans to a charity so others will be comfortable during those hot, humid months! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

Lived in Bothell, Wa 30yrs ago never thought a/c would be needed but our weather patterns have changed so much. My brother lives in WE Pa. very cool up there he got central a/c thought he lost his mind but 1 month out of the year he needs it & said worth every penny. I live in Az slab house have 2 huge units on ranch style house which is much needed in 110 outside in summer. If you have heat ducts you can get central a/c doesn't matter with slab. If you have radiators then that is a problem have to rip it all out with ducts very expensive. DD has townhouse in Az. just replaced that 1 a/c unit $8,000 cuz we need strong units. We also have ceiling fans with a/c which run so much in the summer. Wish we had a choice of electric companies but they know we need them raise rates so much, we do have certain times of day with lower rates to wash/dry clothes but still $300 a month is normal have gotten the budget plan. solar panels most are going for some say good some not. haven't decided to go that way. Enjoy all of it and you will. It's expensive but you added value to your home as you enjoy it. 

Honored Contributor

When getting a new furnace, it only makes sense to me to include A/C too.

Respected Contributor

We also live in the Seattle area and last summer we broke down and had the Mitsubishi Ductless Heating and Air Conditioning units installed.    The company we used did a fantastic job and we just love the system.  

We had several of the portable air conditioners and I just hated them.  We kept one of them just in case and gave the others to our neighbor who was happy to get them because he has no interest in installing either central air or the Mitsubishi system.

For those who live in Seattle, you know we've had a rather cold winter and the heat generated from these units far surpasses our regular baseboard heaters.   Our house is total electric so my husband just turned off the baseboard heaters.   Our home is much warmer and this system has lower our electric bill by 40%.  

We had it installed in June of last year so we were able to see how it worked during the hot weather.  It was wonderful.  No noisy portable units blocking the windows and we appreciated the fact that we can control the settings for each room.   

I know some people might think that the wall units are aesthetically unpleasing to the eye but honestly they are high up near the ceiling and after a while you barely notice them.   We are more concerned with our comfort and keeping our utility bills lower.  

I would highly recommend one of these ductless systems.    Be aware that they aren't inexpensive to purchase and have installed but the benefits will far outweigh the initial costs.   

Frequent Contributor

Just enjoy it!. we are retired live in downstate NY Hudson Valley and finally had a contractor install two units in our family room and master bedroom two summers ago. Kids are grown and gone and now we live very comfortably here. Just enjoy it!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden . Good for you! I remember when we first moved into our house, it was only 8 years old and it had no air, now we are in the Mid West, right on Lake Michigan, so it can get really humid here, anyway the 1st summer-not so bad, but the 2nd summer, we had a whole week where it was high 90's and low 100's and the humidity was horrendous-I said that's it-Central Air it is.

We have never looked back, it is so nice to have even when it is just muggy out, we also have a 2 story so the bedrooms get really warm....Enjoy it!!!You will be so glad you did it.

Esteemed Contributor

We live in the mountains of AZ and technically A.C. isn't a necessity but we have it and love it!  Most relatives live in San Diego or Central Coast of CA and none have A.C. (but if it was me, I'd spring for it).