Honored Contributor

Finally broke down and will install air conditioning for this summer

I live in the Seattle area  where only 13% of homes have central air conditioning... the past several summers have just been so dry and hot. The outlook does not look like it will change much. 

Our home upstairs on those stretches of 95 degree plus days of warm weather  reaches almost 90 degrees and that is where we sleep and live.  Fans blow constantly in every room   on those miserable hot  summerdays...in fact, I take the fan with me where ever I am standing or sitting..  My husband is tired of  being so hot especially when sleeping.   Yes, it is just a few hot days... but,  HOT MISERABLE DAYS!    It is an investment... but probably a good  upgrade  for resale when we do move someday.  We have lived in this house for 30 years now. 

So new electric furnace( ours is 35 years old, came with the house) central air for those hot days.... duct cleaning at the same time( never has been done!) and upgrade the electrical panel  which has also never been changed since moving in many years ago.  The company we are going to use has been in business in this area for 35 years... and they do everything so no extra people to have to call.

I am looking forward to it!

Respected Contributor

Re: Finally broke down and will install air conditioning for this summer

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaidenGood for you!  I would melt without air con.  Get so sick when I am out in the heat, or it is hot inside.

Yeah, the initial investment will be expensive, but if all is 30+ years old, should you decide to sell later on, You will reap the rewards of new units, the duct work cleaning, etc.

You and your DH will be comfortable.  Be able to sleep at night...  Just enjoy.    

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like a great idea.  One of my favorite home appliances is the HVAC system!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

It seems the trend is for warmer weather everywhere so getting central A.C. is probably a smart move.  I bet many people in the PNW are doing the same thing.  You are going to enjoy having it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden WONDERFUL NEWS!  If your system is that old you will probably save a lot of money over the next few years.

Run it when you want and enjoy the comfort!  You deserve to be as cool as you are!  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

Sounds great and it has been unusually hot the last few years here.  I live near a lake and have a lot of trees so the only part of my house that gets really hot is my bedroom because of big windows and the afternoon sun.  I put a window unit in just that room about 5 years ago and only used it once in awhile but the last couple years I have used almost every night in the summer.  The weather it definitely changing.  

Super Contributor

Yes, good for you.  It's certainly a wonderful feeling knowing that you won't suffer the heat especially at night.  Living in the south, air conditioning is fairly standard but I had to have my HVAC replaced a couple of years ago.  It was pricey but I now have peace of mind that it will last for a number of years.

Honored Contributor

Good for you, you are going to be so happy that you did this. On the days and nights when you need it, it will make your home and life comfortable.  Like it or not, weather patterns are changing so you are like to see hotter summers.  

Esteemed Contributor

You will not regret one penny of the money spent. In fact you will probably wonder why you waited so long.

Honored Contributor

Thankyou everyone for your votes of confidence! This summer when it gets HOT I will let you know how it is going having AC for the first timeSmiley Happy