Honored Contributor

Finally a "honest" salesperson...lol

I want to replace my kitchen appliances.  Our local store was having good incentives & sales.

I went to a appliance store vs. big box place.  I did select what I wanted and lead time 4-6 weeks.

Most the time a salesperson is not as upfront about things.  I had a nice young lady today who encouraged me to "wait" because things are being manufacturered on a "fast track" or not at all most coming from other countries (customs holds up process) and not of "quality" workmanship...I couldn't believe it!  I was looking at GE appliances.

I don't "need" anything right now so I'll wait til things get back to some normalcy - whenever that is🤔😉

I certainly appreciate her honesty about it instead of me trying to get any problems resolved through manufacturers now. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Finally a "honest" salesperson...lol

YUP............China

They make our refrigerators - stoves - etc.

We 'buy'

Trusted Contributor

Yes, it doesn't happen often, but I had a similar experience lately.  My 20 year old chest freezer died about a week ago.  Right now it's almost impossible to find freezers.  I had called one Lowes and they had only one brand I had never heard of.   I looked it up on their site and I mistakenly called the other Lowes near us and the nice employee told me he wouldn't feel right selling me that freezer because they had 4 recently come back that were less than a month old that all failed. It saved me about $700 and probably a headache

I made several calls and found a nice GE stand up in a store that had them for awhile.  I think I got a good quality one that will hopefully last, but of course it was full price.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@TurnerGal 

The salesgirl suggested I try to find a "scratch & dent" or clearance floor models for the reason you state: been in store way before pandemic.  Would most likely have good luck.

Good luck enjoy your new freezer ... I miss having a extra fridge or freezer.  So many things I could use it for but spouse thinks waste of $$ for just 2 of us🤷‍♀️he's probably right  but I won't dare tell him...😉😂)

Esteemed Contributor

Whirlpool World HQ is sill here in Benton Harbor and yes, some manufacturing is still done in the US.

Maytag, Whirlpool, GE, Wolf, Electrolux, Frigidaire still do some production here.

Before you say MIC is cheaper, there have been tariffs levied on LG and Samsung since about 2018? 

The clearing Customs takes about 72 hrs.

China mfg not being what it once was might better account for extended delays.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Whirlpool World HQ is sill here in Benton Harbor and yes, some manufacturing is still done in the US.

Maytag, Whirlpool, GE, Wolf, Electrolux, Frigidaire still do some production here.

Before you say MIC is cheaper, there have been tariffs levied on LG and Samsung since about 2018? 

The clearing Customs takes about 72 hrs.

China mfg not being what it once was might better account for extended delays.

@Snowpuppy Yes!  We allowed China to sell things cheap in this country.  And we paid the price!  We paid less for a refrigerator, but we buy them three times as often.

We paid less at the moment, but our neighbors lost their good jobs and the economy went down hill.  So end result?

People lost jobs, economy suffered and we in the long run pay more for China's appliances.  So what did we gain from all this?  We sold ourselves.