Honored Contributor

Re: Feelings of leaving a house that you lived in your entire life

When we retired to Florida and left the house we had lived in every day of our marriage it was a sad day.It still majkes me sad to go by and see it.I prefer to avoid the area.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

We recently moved from a house in which we lived for 25 years.  Thought it would be difficult, but once we moved in to the new house, I never looked back.  I love the new house!

Esteemed Contributor

I've been in my new home 1 1/2 years and we sold our home we lived in for 21 years. The home we moved in on our 3rd anniversary, where our only son was conceived and grew up.  I'm so glad that I always took lots of pictures.  I have lots of boxes of our son growing up, family functions, us playing around or working on the yard and of course I carry a lot of memories with me. We stayed with my cousin for 4 months while our house was built. We thought we could build while our house was on the market, never thought it would sell in 1 week.

I do miss my home, not because of all the memories (I keep those close to my heart)  but because of the storage we had, we down sized 1000 sq ft. But slowly I've gotten used to it and I was forced to get rid of a lot of stuff that we never used or needed and now others are enjoying. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

DH and I built our current home brick by brick.  I touched every inch of the place.  It took 4 years working in the evenings.

I've had to move in the past due to relocation, divorce.  I wanted this to be my last home.

My wishes are to have my ashes spread near the house.

That will be when I move -- at least, that is my hope!

Honored Contributor

We will be in this house 39 years tomorrow!

The only thing that would bother me, besides having to pack 39 years of stuff, would be finding my way around the area. 

We do have lots of memories here, our daughter grew up in this house, but I wouldn't be sad to leave.

Honored Contributor

I drive by first home at least once a week.  Sometimes I wish I could look inside to see what the retired couple who bought it have done to it.  They must be pretty old by now, but it was easy to care for so I'm guessing they have no immediate plans to sell.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's going to be more weird then sad. The fact we won't be moving into our house for about six to eight months just makes it weird. It's like we are giving up our home for a rental in a unfamiliar neighborhood.. My mom said this morning she will feel homeless until we get into the new house.  After living somewhere for so long there is a sense of peace and security.

Esteemed Contributor

For those of us that have had to move often, it can be one meh.

I have some great memories but no fond attachments. 

Esteemed Contributor

My parents bought their first home when I was one year old.  It was a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom ranch.  As we grew older and they became successful earning more money, they talked about building a new home.  Talked.  Talked.  Talked.  Dad wanted a multi-story home and Mom wanted a bigger one-level home.  They never could agree on a design.   Fast forward.  Kids are married and have kids of their own.  Suddenly we get a call saying they just bought a new house!  Come get any of your things out of your old bedroom and the attic because we're putting the house on the market. It was an odd feeling saying goodbye to the house I grew up in.  And many tears were shed.  But my parents are happy, we're happy to visit in the big new house, and the new owners of my childhood home are really nice people, and obviously they love it as much as I do.

As for the waiting game, I can sort of relate.  We lived in our previous home for 11 years and my husband got a job out of state.  We rented an apartment for a few months waiting for our other house to sell and waiting for the builder to complete this one.  Fortunately, our house sold less than two weeks after putting it on the market.  (probably because we priced it reasonably, especially compared to comparable homes in that area) It was a pain putting stuff at a storage building and cramming everything else into an apartment.  (I especially hated the laundry situation because my washer/dryer went to storage.) Kept telling myself that it's temporary.  And it was.  😊 Time will pass and before you know it this will be a distant memory.  Best of luck to you @ccassaday!

Esteemed Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

My parents bought their first home when I was one year old.  It was a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom ranch.  As we grew older and they became successful earning more money, they talked about building a new home.  Talked.  Talked.  Talked.  Dad wanted a multi-story home and Mom wanted a bigger one-level home.  They never could agree on a design.   Fast forward.  Kids are married and have kids of their own.  Suddenly we get a call saying they just bought a new house!  Come get any of your things out of your old bedroom and the attic because we're putting the house on the market. It was an odd feeling saying goodbye to the house I grew up in.  And many tears were shed.  But my parents are happy, we're happy to visit in the big new house, and the new owners of my childhood home are really nice people, and obviously they love it as much as I do.

As for the waiting game, I can sort of relate.  We lived in our previous home for 11 years and my husband got a job out of state.  We rented an apartment for a few months waiting for our other house to sell and waiting for the builder to complete this one.  Fortunately, our house sold less than two weeks after putting it on the market.  (probably because we priced it reasonably, especially compared to comparable homes in that area) It was a pain putting stuff at a storage building and cramming everything else into an apartment.  (I especially hated the laundry situation because my washer/dryer went to storage.) Kept telling myself that it's temporary.  And it was.  😊 Time will pass and before you know it this will be a distant memory.  Best of luck to you @ccassaday!

I hope our house sells quick. We are lucky with storage. My sister and husband put up a big garage seperate from their house garage. So we have free storage. I will believe our house is up for sale when it happens. It's been a long process but we are finally reaching the end.