Esteemed Contributor

Feelings of leaving a house that you lived in your entire life

Has anyone ever built a house and had to move to a rental until the house was done. Was it a weird feeling? It's going to be so weird and kind of sad to leave the house we have lived in for 40 years. I think what makes it harder is that you don't have your new house. If you moved right to the new house it might not be so hard. This house is where all the childhood memories have been made. I don't know how it's going to feel. It's going to be very strange.
Super Contributor

Re: Feelings of leaving a house that you lived in your entire life

I can certainly understand how u feel. We are about to start building a home , same state, different city.  We hope to avoid having to rent before moving into our new home next year.  I've been in my current home for 22 years.  Yes, I am already feeling strange about leaving my comfort zone and the place where many memories were made. However, I am thankful that this is a positive thing happening.  You and I are about to embark on a new chapter in our lives.  Why don't we take the journey together?

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I think my mom will be the most emotional.  My aunt told my parents to enjoy the vacation. Lol. Because you won't have any responsibilities.  They are looking forward to going and looking at new furniture ect.  The thing that will be weird for me is when you have lived in a place so long you feel safe. Moving to a strange neighborhood is just going to feel odd. 

Honored Contributor

@Loveac wrote:

I can certainly understand how u feel. We are about to start building a home , same state, different city.  We hope to avoid having to rent before moving into our new home next year.  I've been in my current home for 22 years.  Yes, I am already feeling strange about leaving my comfort zone and the place where many memories were made. However, I am thankful that this is a positive thing happening.  You and I are about to embark on a new chapter in our lives.  Why don't we take the journey together?

@Loveac - I'm not going through what you two are, but I just want to say --- what a sweet post! That would make anyone feel better! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

We've rented several times while building, and also while looking for an existing home to buy. The feeling was that I couldn't wait to get into my own home. We have done it many times across many states. Really only one time was I sentimental about selling one particular home. After that it seemed to get easier. Never did enjoy the renting part though.

Trusted Contributor

I think moving is one of the most stressful things that can happen to you.  In our past moves, I've always hated the period of time between selling your current home and waiting to move into the new house.  

We've never had to rent, thankfully.  Because that means an extra move.  But, I always get that feeling of being in limbo.

And, no matter how excited you are about the move, leaving a familiar place is always hard.

When we sold our very first house...the one we owned when our daughter was born, I cried as the movers finished up.  But, within about 10 minutes of getting on the road, I was excited about our new adventure.

You WILL be fine.  I think everything you are feeling is normal.  Try not to overthink.  Just accept your feelings.  AND, dream about the wonderful Christmas you will have this year in your new house, and all of the wonderful new memories you will be making!

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

I think moving on (for the final time) from your childhood home can be quite sentimental. 

I can offer a few suggestions.

Take a lot of pictures inside and out. The house I grew up in and my parents owned for 30 years was sold well after I'd left home, and even with a ton of pictures, there are some inside details I just can't bring to mind (like was there crown molding in the livingroom?!).  Pictures will help you any time you  are missing those rooms, or any special feature of your childhood home. For example if you love the fireplace and mantle, take pictures of it. If you love the window seat in the dining room, be sure to capture it in a picture.

A good video of the place would be even better. Back in the day when I bought my first house, I loved every single aspect of that little place. Home video cameras were rather new and my brother had rented one for a weekend when he came to visit. He let me used it to 'document' my home and it's contents. I am so grateful for that, as I never was able to afford a video camera until after I sold that home, and it is the only video of that beautiful little place I have. 

When you go to rent, make life as simple as possible because it will be such a short layover. Take just one or two things to comfort you (favorite throw etc.) and try to get by with as little as you can during the time you live there (I'm assuming most of your things will be going into storage). It will help the time you are waiting on the new house to pass quicker, looking forward to having all your things back.

Try to see the whole thing as an adventure, and keep your eye on the prize....the new home.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I think moving on (for the final time) from your childhood home can be quite sentimental. 

I can offer a few suggestions.

Take a lot of pictures inside and out. The house I grew up in and my parents owned for 30 years was sold well after I'd left home, and even with a ton of pictures, there are some inside details I just can't bring to mind (like was there crown molding in the livingroom?!).  Pictures will help you any time you  are missing those rooms, or any special feature of your childhood home. For example if you love the fireplace and mantle, take pictures of it. If you love the window seat in the dining room, be sure to capture it in a picture.

A good video of the place would be even better. Back in the day when I bought my first house, I loved every single aspect of that little place. Home video cameras were rather new and my brother had rented one for a weekend when he came to visit. He let me used it to 'document' my home and it's contents. I am so grateful for that, as I never was able to afford a video camera until after I sold that home, and it is the only video of that beautiful little place I have. 

When you go to rent, make life as simple as possible because it will be such a short layover. Take just one or two things to comfort you (favorite throw etc.) and try to get by with as little as you can during the time you live there (I'm assuming most of your things will be going into storage). It will help the time you are waiting on the new house to pass quicker, looking forward to having all your things back.

Try to see the whole thing as an adventure, and keep your eye on the prize....the new home.

What a neat idea. Yes everything except clothes and everyday stuff will be in storage at my sisters. My mom is even thinking about packing dishes and use paper plates. My aunt said what cool is you only have to keep things neat and do the basic cleaning stuff. She says think of it as a vacation. It will be fun for my parents to start picking out furniture and stuff. Just to take the days and relax and do what ever you want. Praying the house sells quickly. If we can get this place sold quick we should be in the new house by January. Feb at the latest.

Honored Contributor

My Dad's company moved from Hamilton, Ohio to Philadelphia, PA. He got an apartment in Philadelphia and "commuted" back to Ohio every weekend. Mom stayed in Ohio with a 2 1/2 year old and an 8 month old (me).

Mom and Dad also spent several weekends looking for a new house in the Philadelphia area. They finally decided to have a new house built in a suburb of Philadelphia. So they put their Ohio house on the market. Of course it sold right away.

So Mom and Dad scrambled to find a house to live in Philadelphia until their house was built in the suburbs. They were told it would be about 6 months.

They found a temporary house in Philadelphia and moved in. In the mean time Mother Nature played a part. Mom got pregnant and wasn't ready for another move. SOOO - Mom and Dad ended up staying in their "temporary" house for 52 years. 

I bet the rental will feel like an extended vacation house.

QVC Customer Care