Honored Contributor

Re: Feedback we got today on our house

@riley1wrote:

@151949 - Geez, she's only worried about the gators? Hope she doesn't find out about the snakes, lol.

Wait til she runs across a palmetto bug!

Honored Contributor

We went to my DH's cousins for dinner this week and there was a full size lizard walking around the house. Not a gecko - a lizard. Anyway - she said he got in one day and has been living there ever since. He goes out during the day but always is at the door when they come home to be let in.He spends most of the nights on her enclosed porch. She puts out a dish of water for him, but that's all. He's on his own to catch his food.

Honored Contributor

I've always had a theory about those master bathrooms with the double sinks and huge mirrors.

Perhaps there will one day be a study that looks at the rise in divorce rates with the rise in popularity of the "master bath."

I maintain that the key to a happy relationship is separate bathrooms.  Although sometimes I think it may even be separate addresses.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@151949wrote:

They claimed to really love everything else but can't consider buying it because there is only one sink in the master bath. They said they get ready to go somewhere at the same time and it would be too inconvenient for one of them to have to walk down the hall to the other BR, or have to wait for the sink.SERIOUSLY??? BTW - that second bath is 10 steps away from the master bath - this is a small home. There is a ton of counter space in both baths. 

I am amazed by the spoiled attitude of buyers.

so let them go somewhere else

not your problem 

for me I like having my own BR and Mr JTB uses the other one 

Honored Contributor

@lolakimonowrote:

That there was only one sink in the master bath should have been evident in the photos your real estate agent took and included with the listing information.  

Agree!!

Honored Contributor

@sol_lunawrote:

@GingerPeachwrote:

In one sense, @151949 is right that a lot of buyers are spoiled.  They've likely learned it by watching a lot of HGTV-type shows on television.

I can't obviously say whether her particular buyers are, but she's right in a general sense.  I also think a lot of agents buy into that same sensibility too, in trying to create a one-size-fits-all house for as many potential buyers as possible.

I've always wondered why they don't simply state features as being positive than try to hide them as a negative (or tell the seller to make everything neutral).

As just one example, suppose you love your sunny, yellow kitchen but HGTV has had a few shows where people say, oh, that's so yellow.  Now everyone selling a home is told they have to eliminate yellow.  NB to agents:  there are a lot of us out here that still do love yellow.

I DON'T agree that wanting 2 sinks in a master bathroom is being SPOILED at all. Buying a house is a big expense, so buyers should be getting all of what they want.  There's NOTHING wrong with that. Her house is probably overpriced. From her comments, the HOA is really restrictive. That's also a turn-off for many buyers. No rentals are allowed, according to her, so that's a deal breaker for lots of buyers. She created a stressful situation by buying a house before selling - NOT a good idea.

@sol_luna

You underlined the wrong sentence to make your point.  I did NOT say her buyers were spoiled.  I made a general comment about how buyers appear spoiled these days due to what they see on television.

What I said about her buyers is that I could not be sure.  See the portion highlighted in red above.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@151949 - OMG, yes they are HUGE!!

Respected Contributor

@GingerPeachwrote:

@sol_lunawrote:

@GingerPeachwrote:

In one sense, @151949 is right that a lot of buyers are spoiled.  They've likely learned it by watching a lot of HGTV-type shows on television.

I can't obviously say whether her particular buyers are, but she's right in a general sense.  I also think a lot of agents buy into that same sensibility too, in trying to create a one-size-fits-all house for as many potential buyers as possible.

I've always wondered why they don't simply state features as being positive than try to hide them as a negative (or tell the seller to make everything neutral).

As just one example, suppose you love your sunny, yellow kitchen but HGTV has had a few shows where people say, oh, that's so yellow.  Now everyone selling a home is told they have to eliminate yellow.  NB to agents:  there are a lot of us out here that still do love yellow.

I DON'T agree that wanting 2 sinks in a master bathroom is being SPOILED at all. Buying a house is a big expense, so buyers should be getting all of what they want.  There's NOTHING wrong with that. Her house is probably overpriced. From her comments, the HOA is really restrictive. That's also a turn-off for many buyers. No rentals are allowed, according to her, so that's a deal breaker for lots of buyers. She created a stressful situation by buying a house before selling - NOT a good idea.

@sol_luna

You underlined the wrong sentence to make your point.  I did NOT say her buyers were spoiled.  I made a general comment about how buyers appear spoiled these days due to what they see on television.

What I said about her buyers is that I could not be sure.  See the portion highlighted in red above.

I would have to disagree that TV gives people bad ideas.  I think the information we get from all those home improvement shows allows us to make better-informed decisions and make up our minds on things.  Having two sinks is a personal thing.  My sister and I shared a sink our whole lives and then my parents shared a sink.  When we moved out, my mother got one bathroom and dad the other.  They also sleep in separate rooms.  This is a good thing.  I really think it is a matter of personal preference and your life situation at various times in your life.  If that is what the buyer felt was a make or break deal, then let it be so.  There will be others who will buy.  If this is a 55 and older community, people may be more willing to do the separate bathroom thing versus younger people, so that is one perspective to take when selling it.  You both get your own bathroom, forget your own sink, but an entire bath to yourself.

Honored Contributor

@Tigriss

I am not talking about sink preferences.  The subject of tv influencing buyers/viewers/real estate agents is ever so much broader.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Super Contributor

@GingerPeachwrote:

@sol_lunawrote:

@GingerPeachwrote:

@sol_luna

NO, I didn't say "her" buyers were spoiled. Read my post. Wanting 2 sinks in the master bath has NOTHING to do with watching HGTV. It's a personal preference.