Super Contributor

Re: Feedback we got today on our house

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeachwrote:

In one sense, @151949 is right that a lot of buyers are spoiled.  They've likely learned it by watching a lot of HGTV-type shows on television.

I can't obviously say whether her particular buyers are, but she's right in a general sense.  I also think a lot of agents buy into that same sensibility too, in trying to create a one-size-fits-all house for as many potential buyers as possible.

I've always wondered why they don't simply state features as being positive than try to hide them as a negative (or tell the seller to make everything neutral).

As just one example, suppose you love your sunny, yellow kitchen but HGTV has had a few shows where people say, oh, that's so yellow.  Now everyone selling a home is told they have to eliminate yellow.  NB to agents:  there are a lot of us out here that still do love yellow.

I DON'T agree that wanting 2 sinks in a master bathroom is being SPOILED at all. Buying a house is a big expense, so buyers should be getting all of what they want.  There's NOTHING wrong with that. Her house is probably overpriced. From her comments, the HOA is really restrictive. That's also a turn-off for many buyers. No rentals are allowed, according to her, so that's a deal breaker for lots of buyers. She created a stressful situation by buying a house before selling - NOT a good idea.

Esteemed Contributor

@sol_lunawrote:

@GingerPeachwrote:

In one sense, @151949 is right that a lot of buyers are spoiled.  They've likely learned it by watching a lot of HGTV-type shows on television.

I can't obviously say whether her particular buyers are, but she's right in a general sense.  I also think a lot of agents buy into that same sensibility too, in trying to create a one-size-fits-all house for as many potential buyers as possible.

I've always wondered why they don't simply state features as being positive than try to hide them as a negative (or tell the seller to make everything neutral).

As just one example, suppose you love your sunny, yellow kitchen but HGTV has had a few shows where people say, oh, that's so yellow.  Now everyone selling a home is told they have to eliminate yellow.  NB to agents:  there are a lot of us out here that still do love yellow.

I DON'T agree that wanting 2 sinks in a master bathroom is being SPOILED at all. Buying a house is a big expense, so buyers should be getting all of what they want.  There's NOTHING wrong with that. Her house is probably overpriced. From her comments, the HOA is really restrictive. That's also a turn-off for many buyers. No rentals are allowed, according to her, so that's a deal breaker for lots of buyers. She created a stressful situation by buying a house before selling - NOT a good idea.

We were going to get a bridge loan so we could start building before the house sold. This way we would have to rent a lot less time. My parents were so glad they didn’t. It would of made it so stressful. We finished with the house then put it on the market. We didn’t have them start digging until closing of our other house. We would of been in our house by Christmas.  We ended up getting in Feb. So only a few months difference and a heck of a lot less stress.

Valued Contributor

@151949

If that was so important, why didn't they state that as a criterion to the realtor instead of wasting everyone's time?     

Esteemed Contributor

@Elri wrote:

@151949

If that was so important, why didn't they state that as a criterion to the realtor instead of wasting everyone's time?     

It was important. But obviously they didn’t love the rest of the house enough to make that compromise. They might of made the compromise if they had loved the house.

Honored Contributor

@ccassadaywrote:

@Elri wrote:

@151949

It was important. But obviously they didn’t love the rest of the house enough to make that compromise. They might of made the compromise if they had loved the house.

Realtors never just show you houses that fit what you told them--and frankly it is sometimes hard to find a house that checks every box.  You usually wind up seeing a lot of houses that may or may not be everything in one house, but sometimes you even see houses with things you DIDN'T know you wanted!  

Super Contributor

Honored Contributor

@OfCoursewrote:

Good luck to them finding a house that has everything they want already, even down to a second sink.  Are they trying to make you put in the money to do this?  If they really like the house, you'll hear from them again.  They sound like a big pain to deal with.  I hope you find a buyer who's not such a pain.

When our agent shows the house he always asks for feedback then shares it with us. So far none have told us anything we can change - not liking the location of the laundry room - not liking my counter tops - not liking the carpet several times - and now dissappointed there was only one sink. Oh yeah, almost forgot the lady who did not want a house near water because she is terrified of alligators getting in the house. 

Valued Contributor

@151949  I think you're unreasonable if you're not going to move the water for that prospective buyer.  After all, if you do she just might change her mind!  What a riot!

Honored Contributor

@151949

"fear of alligators" that's a kicker you can be anywhere in FL and encounter one!  We had one in the street a few months ago during the drought came up through the storm drain😳.  

Perhaps ask realtor to give you the positive feedback on the showings vs the negatives as the only way they're important if it is something you can change to make the home more desirable.

Otherwise, don't take the feedback personally it just means the House didn't meet the buyers needs.

Just wondering if there are a lot of homes for sale or new construction in your community.  I only ask because my cousin took 9 months to sell her coach home because many for resale & new builds (exact Home) in Sarasota & she had already bought another home so she was carrying 2 mortgages. Now that's stressful!

Unfortunately, it seems the process of selling is more stressful because you are on a deadline to sell to purchase the other home.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 - Geez, she's only worried about the gators? Hope she doesn't find out about the snakes, lol.