Honored Contributor

Re: Feedback we got today on our house

I fill the tub about 1/4 full , by the time I sit in it is comes to around halfway. So that is about 18 gal. - just about the same as a shower per the EPA. However , common sense tells me that running the water 3 min uses way way less than running it 12 min. And I have a garden tub so it is large.

Honored Contributor

@151949wrote:

I fill the tub about 1/4 full , by the time I sit in it is comes to around halfway. So that is about 18 gal. - just about the same as a shower per the EPA. However , common sense tells me that running the water 3 min uses way way less than running it 12 min. And I have a garden tub so it is large.

that sounds like a sitz bath. 

Honored Contributor

@Snicks1wrote:
I wouldn't call them spoiled necessarily. It's all in what they are used to, and want or expect. For me, that one sink would not be a deal breaker if I like the rest of the house, but I'm not them. I actually only want one sink. That's one less sink I have to keep clean. Any future home I will be looking for a one sink master bath. However, having 2 sinks would also not make the house a deal breaker.

@Snicks1

Indeed!

The presence or absence of a second sink in a bathroom is not going to be a deal breaker for a serious buyer. There was more to their refusal, but this must be what was spoken and passed on. 

Anyone that would make that THE deal breaker in the purchasing of a house, I don't want to deal with in the selling process anyway, as they are going to be a pain to deal with all the way till possession. 

Them wanting double sinks isn't the issue, it being a deal breaker for the purchase of a home shows me they aren't easy to deal with, and possibly will have other unrealistic expectations that I don't wish to deal with.

Now the deal breaker being no second bathroom, not enough bedrooms, not enough storage, would be understandable.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949Don't loose sleep over this comment. Your Realtor should have asked those potential buyers what THEY were looking for prior to showing them your home. He didn't bother to find out their basic wants/needs!  You've had several problems (red flags) with this Realtor since listing your home. Frankly, I'd take a comment like that with a grain of salt. You have preferences for your new home and would be horrified if anyone called you "spoiled." Everyone has the right to their own selective process when purchasing and spending their money on a home! That Realtor wasted THEIR time, too. Remember they probably weren't pleased with going through a home that didn't fit their criteria. 

A master bath usually has two sinks. Who wants to use the main bathroom away from clothes, shoes and your spouse? My husband and I enjoyed sharing our plans for the day while getting ready. We also listened/watched the news and weather to make plans for after work. Thought most loving couples preferred to use the master bathroom each morning. 

An idea if your house doesn't sell by mid-March: could you rent it out for a year? When moving into this home, we didn't sell the last home on purpose! Decided if we didn't like this large home, we could always return to the former one. After six months, I knew this was a good move and listed the previous house on my way home from work. It sold in FOUR HOURS! Whew, we were so glad to have made the decision not to list immediately.

Sometimes things work in mysterious ways. It may not be the right timing for you to make a move. Have you both talked this move over thoroughly? Do you both want to do so? Are your reasons sensible and financially sound? Or is this a sudden, impulsive decision? 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@151949wrote:

it really depends on the size of the tub. on average, a soaking tub (aka garden tub) holds about 100 gallons+. if you are only filling it to about 1/4 full, then you are using approximately 25 gallons of water.

showers are generally the more water-efficient way to bathe overall.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is not a realtor issue. This is just someone who didn’t like the house enough to compromise to only having one sink. If they had liked the house enough that one sink wouldn’t of mattered. At our old house Thr master bath was super tiny. My mom always got ready in the other bath the other 3 bedrooms share. My mom isn’t high maintenance. Short hair so doesn’t blow dry and doesn’t wear makeup. So it really depends on someone’s lifestyle.

We had someone look at our house and said beautiful house will sell quick but to big for me. We were like then why did you look at it.  But maybe when she looked at it she would of loved it enough that being  a little to big wouldn’t of mattered. You can’t have everything on your wishlist.  So you are bound to look at some that don’t have everything. I was watching a realtors video and he said it’s very important his clients give him two lists. Must haves and a wish list.

Honored Contributor

@151949

One thing to consider is the person who buys your home may be like me -- I wanted a "move-in ready" and certain layout/location and I knew costly updates would need to be done as this community is 25 years old. 

Finally, after 5 years I'm almost getting to the "finish line"!

I think you live in a newer over-55 HOA community.  This type of community can only draw a certain buyer due to

deed restrictions (I think). This may be a drawback and limits the "pool of potential buyers".  

A year ago houses were selling so fast the signs didn't go up -- now taking much longer.  (We just got our monthly update on sales : projected time 126-180 days to sell in this community)

I looked at over 70 homes for 2 years (and scary thing they were in my actual community).  Some were totally not my style, needed complete remodeling & updating, too small, too expensive, etc.  

Not only did I have to factor in the price of the home but the monthly expenses, ie, HOA fees, golf fees, etc. and  upgrades needed & changes I wanted to do. 

What I'm saying is potential buyers may be figuring in a lot of factors especially if this is a 2nd home vs primary residence.  

Unfortunately, potential buyers (or realtors) are not always truthful in reasons why they did not "like" a home.  One of the things I hated most was when the "feedback" after a showing  and they sometimes were "ridiculous" in my eyes -- but then again had to put it in perspective :

I lived there & loved everything about the house but it was no longer going to be mine and the next owner had their vision of their needs.  So the house had to work for them not me!  I just wanted it sold!!! To move on.

I'm sure you experienced all these same emotions & anxiety when you sold up North & bought your FL home so try to not "analyze" it so much because I know selling a home can make somebody go insane!!!  

Honored Contributor

@151949wrote:

Perhaps running water through a shower head, compared to a tub faucet, is comparing apples to oranges. 

It's about the number of gallons used and the tub faucet probably lets out more gallons per minute than a good shower head that is putting the water under pressure and letting less flow through per minute.

So it isn't about the minutes the water runs, but the actual number of gallons used in each circumstance.

Honored Contributor

Most master baths have two sinks, but I sure wouldn't have ruled out your house for that reason.  

Honored Contributor

In one sense, @151949 is right that a lot of buyers are spoiled.  They've likely learned it by watching a lot of HGTV-type shows on television.

I can't obviously say whether her particular buyers are, but she's right in a general sense.  I also think a lot of agents buy into that same sensibility too, in trying to create a one-size-fits-all house for as many potential buyers as possible.

I've always wondered why they don't simply state features as being positive than try to hide them as a negative (or tell the seller to make everything neutral).

As just one example, suppose you love your sunny, yellow kitchen but HGTV has had a few shows where people say, oh, that's so yellow.  Now everyone selling a home is told they have to eliminate yellow.  NB to agents:  there are a lot of us out here that still do love yellow.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.