Honored Contributor

Re: Feedback we got today on our house

I have to chuckle to keep from crying when I remember growing up in Houston in the 50’s. We had a 3 bedroom,1 bathroom1 car garage, for 6 of us. I shared a room with my sister, brother had his own room, and baby sister’s crib was in my parents room. Now everyone wants their own everything. Right now it is a buyers market so prospective buyers will demand as much as they can to get it their way. 

Valued Contributor

@Biftuwrote:

I blame a lot of this on HGTV shows and the like.  Must have open concept, granite counter tops, walk in closets, the list goes on and on.  You need to go into a house with an open mind and the money you will need to make it your own.  It is unreasonable to think you will get everything you want in a house regardless of the price.

@Biftu Agreed! I can't even watch those shows anymore...the people all want what you say, then the realtor asks their budget and it's clear they can't afford the wish list. You know the realtors just want to slap some sense into them...but the realtors all say on camera, "Well, I look at it as a challenge"...off camera you know they are thinking.."Here's another one that needs a slap" 😂😂😂

Respected Contributor

If that is what they want, it doesn't make them bad people.  When I buy a house there are always criteria that are deal breakers for me.  I am sure the OP has things that she can live with and live without in the new house she is trying to purchase.  That does not make her a bad person.  The right person will come along, love the house, and purchase it.

Honored Contributor

Good grief...our house was built in the 70's the master bath is SMALL, my dh uses that bath, I use the bath down the hall, much larger.  I have not shared a bathroom since I was married and would only do so if I had to.

Why would they not want their own bath room?  Just redo the 2nd bath to their taste...which ever one would be using it....people never ease to amaze me.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm 68 years old.  Grew up in a house with 2 other siblings in a house with one bathroom/one sink.  Living in a house where I raised two children with one bathroom/one sink.  We all survived!!

Respected Contributor

nothing wrong with having specifics that are deal breakers.

what is silly is tying up everyones time, the realtor, the home owner.   

they must have two sinks in master and will not consider a redo........so why do they schedule a showing at all?

people must cave on their stated deal breakers.   i have had realtors send me listing with deal breakers.   their defense was they thought i would reconsider based on the other attributes of the house.  apparently many do.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Super Contributor

Every family functions differently.  What is a deal breaker for one family may be a selling point for another.  It is funny that 

Honored Contributor

@Qusewrote:

@Biftuwrote:

I blame a lot of this on HGTV shows and the like.  Must have open concept, granite counter tops, walk in closets, the list goes on and on.  You need to go into a house with an open mind and the money you will need to make it your own.  It is unreasonable to think you will get everything you want in a house regardless of the price.

@Biftu Agreed! I can't even watch those shows anymore...the people all want what you say, then the realtor asks their budget and it's clear they can't afford the wish list. You know the realtors just want to slap some sense into them...but the realtors all say on camera, "Well, I look at it as a challenge"...off camera you know they are thinking.."Here's another one that needs a slap" 😂😂😂

@Quse The show is scripted and fake. The script tells them what to say. They cannot get on the show unless they have already purchased a house. So one of the houses shown is the one they already purchased.

Honored Contributor

My favorite House Hunters are the folks who want an old house with " charm " , however they must have walk I closets, en suite bathrooms and an open floor plan. But, they want move in ready. I live in a very old home and I love it, but if you want modern touches, be prepared to do some work.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I've purchased two houses.  I was a little more specific with what I was looking for the second time around.  The realtor took me to houses that were missing some of the criteria.  At the end, I ended up compromising.  No way was I going to compromise early in the process.  Houses cost a lot of money.  It was the realtor that should have done their research and found there weren't two sinks and not brought the people for a showing.  I know I wasted a lot of time looking at houses that didn't meet my criteria.