Esteemed Contributor

Re: Favorite ways to make housework less of a chore?

1. Create a do-able schedule, dividing up tasks throughout the week
  2. Laundry every other day and put away
  3. Listen to audio novels while doing tasks
  4. Hire someone to do the hardest jobs - just recently did that and I'm so relieved   
"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach  I have a schedule and usually a list of items that I need to accomplish on the weekend, so one day I try to get the list completed (or mostly completed), and then usually on Sunday I turn on ITKWD and start to clean the house. 

If something interesting comes on, I'll take a seat and watch, but then another item will come on, and back to work I go.  I try to do multiple things at once, laundry is going while I'm cleaning the floors, and the dishwasher is running as well.

Once I'm done, I jump in the shower and then usually out of the house to do a few errands, which usually includes a stop at a few of my favorite stores, quick run to get a few groceries, and then back home before dinner.

Now that I live alone, I make my own schedule, and there is no frustration or stress any longer from cleaning the house top to bottom, with the other half is sitting (and clueless about what needed to be done).

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

When I was working and even when I moved into this Senior apt., I did housework once a week and kept everything very clean.  After an auto immune disease, COPD and hip pain, I have great difficulty doing housework.  What did I do?  I finally hired a lady to clean for me 2 x a month.  The other 2 x I will have to do a couple of chores.  I also ordered the TSV storage organizers that are collapsible.  I can place blankets in one, sheets and pillowcases in the other, and I may use one for tissue paper, ribbon, tape and bows.  I just need to get organized and stay organized.  The older you get, the less you want to do but I get out of breath so easily so it is difficult for me.  You would be surprised that you can afford to hire someone.  I am on a fixed income and I am able to do it.  Check out Care.com

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Music is good, or any other distraction.  I also listen to podcasts or i❤️Radio.  

Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, the only way to make housework less of a chore is to make it less of an issue.  By that, I mean don't get behind--it's easier to keep up than to catch up.   Less clutter, i.e. tchotchkes, means less dusting.  Work consistently in blocks of time, 15, 30, 60 minutes, instead of knocking yourself out in one exhausting effort.  Before you leave a room or floor, take a quick look for anything you can take with you, to put away, not pile up somewhere else.  

I'm a careful shopper, and one of the best purchases I've made in a very long time is a Roomba.  I divide my house by thirds, and let her vacuum one zone per charge.  

One of my favorite mottos is "Work smart, not hard."  It works for me.

@IamMrsG   You always have excellent advice!

Respected Contributor

I listen to audiobooks on my MP3. Time flies.

Respected Contributor

i get that that about your cat. our dog would be the same way. she hates when we vacuum.

Respected Contributor

Get my husband to do it!

Just kidding!!!

Well no, not really... I do make him do stuff!

Even though he is a bit of a lolly gagger when it comes to cleaning the house

versus HIS garage! Too funny, but oh so true!

My playlist!!!

I never do the entire house at once, because I would literally scream!  I do it by room.

Except for the Roomba, which is on a weekly schedule and cleans everywhere

but in the baths.

I do not have a set schedule for laundry either, but best to keep on top of it

or it just piles up real quick for sure! Yep, I have been known to have many piles 

just waiting to be washed and dried or washed and just hung up.

-Texas Hill Country-
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I took Don Aslett's advice many years ago and decided not to have too much clutter or stuff around my house. It cuts down on dusting and cleaning time. He also said to try to make your chores easier by eliminating some things and use good cleaning tools.

When we built our house I put in all hardwood and tile, no carpet. I've always hated to vacuum.I have my washer and dryer right next to my bedroom so no more walking up and down a flight or two of stairs to carry laundry. Laundry gets put aways quicker.  I use the Flylady technique of cleaning the bathroom quickly as needed. Swish, swipe, done. 

I clean as I go and put things away as I walk around the house. I deep clean each season and I rely on watching some episodes of hoarders to get me in the mood. I realize those people have a mental disorder so no judgement there. Just the sight of tons of clutter gets me motivated to do something.

I still haven't figured out how to get the males in my family to clean. Husband, son, dog. In one of Don Aslett's books he has a section on what to expect from your spouse as far as cleaning. It's a blank page.Lol!

Honored Contributor

Try as I might, I find nothing that makes housework less of a chore!  It gets harder and more cumbersome the older I get.  I never enjoyed it but when I was young, I could just do it and keep doing it until it was all done.  That felt good!  Now, I have to do it piece meal and there is no satisfaction in that.  By the time I get from one end to the other, it's time to start all over again!  Yuck!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin