Respected Contributor

Re: Favorite ways to make housework less of a chore?

homegirl i will say listening to music rorally gets me moving and the louder the better and with a ice coffee to drink. good luck.

Respected Contributor

For me, nothing would make it less than a chore - it is a chore and a bore.  I say hire it done.  If a person works all day, they should not have to spend their spare time cleaning.  Of course, if you are able and a stay at home person, it makes sense to do your own cleaning.

The only thing I enjoy about house work would be decluttering and organizing and decorating.  The rest is just work no matter how you look t it.  I have no interest whatsoever.

I love music and dancing, but don't want to spoil it with housework!

Honored Contributor

Sometimes I get through things like unloading the dishwasher and other tasks by "breaking it up".   Will unload for awhile, then do some indoor walking, maybe for 5 or even 10 minutes -- kitchen, through dining room, through living room, and back.  When I'm on this "walking trail",  I'm looking at my furniture, thinking how it would look moved around, and looking at my "vignettes" and thinking how I'd like to change them out.... 

Then, feeling refreshed, back to boring unloading, then  repeat.  Of course, if I'm in a hurry to get done, this doesn't work, but at other times, it seems to relieve the drudgery a bit.

Valued Contributor

I turn off the TV as it's too much of a distraction. I crank up the music; classic rock is my choice, and I clean downstairs first then do upstairs because it's faster to clean upstairs. I usually do the bathrooms the night before to make it easy on myself. It takes about 2.5 hours to clean the whole house. I usually start laundry at the same time so I can get the linens done early. 

I don't particularly like cleaning, however, I do enjoy what a clean home looks/smells like right afterwards. 

Trusted Contributor

I like to have the tv on a shopping channel and a glass of iced dr pepper or tea nearby as I get so sweaty once I start cleaning.  Up until this year I vacuumed the whole house twice a week and dusted once a week, did baths and kitchen once a week.  Now I only get to it once a week as far as vacuuming since I am getting older.  You get to a point were you just tired of the whole ordeal and as long as it looks neat I wonder why I worry  lol.  

Respected Contributor

As far as I'm concerned, the only way to make housework less of a chore is to make it less of an issue.  By that, I mean don't get behind--it's easier to keep up than to catch up.   Less clutter, i.e. tchotchkes, means less dusting.  Work consistently in blocks of time, 15, 30, 60 minutes, instead of knocking yourself out in one exhausting effort.  Before you leave a room or floor, take a quick look for anything you can take with you, to put away, not pile up somewhere else.  

I'm a careful shopper, and one of the best purchases I've made in a very long time is a Roomba.  I divide my house by thirds, and let her vacuum one zone per charge.  

One of my favorite mottos is "Work smart, not hard."  It works for me.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Use good tools

Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG  I agree keeping up on it saves time.  I would have a Roomba but my poor cat would have a meltdown. lol

Trusted Contributor

Watching the show "Hoarders" really inspires me.

Conversely, so does watching anything with Martha Stewart.

Go figure.

Honored Contributor

Another music player here. I also like to have a regular schedule for doing certain tasks which helps me space things out during the week. I try not to stress too much over needing to have everything perfectly clean because it’s not going to happen with pets and people in the house. My DH helps a lot which is great. I do get satisfaction from cleaning & organizing.