Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite feature of your current home

Nothing comes to mind because it is a basic ranch home. I like that it has a sunroom and that our lot is next to a park.

Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl Your comments about the neighborhood struck me. As much as I love our home (and I helped to design some of it), it's all about our neighborhood. Most of us have been here since our kids were born over 35 years ago. We've been through births, marriages and deaths together. When my kids were young, I would ask them "what do you want to do for your birthday?" Their answer was always "have the neighbors in for pizza!"  Now, the neighborhood is aging and moving away. New families are moving in, but it's not the same.

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

My favorite thing is that my home is a ranch style.  I know so many people who feel like they will have to move in a few years to a ranch style because they're getting older.  I'm so glad I won't have to think about that.  My house is small, so it's a very manageable size too.

a few years ago my arthritis became unbearable...wanted to sell my 2 story house and buy a ranch-style home...the only ranch homes in my area were built in the 50's...and i don't have the energy to remodel...i envy you....

Regular Contributor

We are empty nesters. Our home is 2000 sq ft. Perfect size for us. I also appreciate room sizes. The largest rooms are the ones we use. Our bedroom is huge. Our bathroom is very large. We each have our own walk in closet. Mine is the size of a small bedroom. We also have a huge walk in pantry. Don't know how I ever lived without it. It's probably 6x12. Our guest bath is tiny. The other 2 bedrooms are medium sized, 10x10. No one visits, so having a tiny guest bath is nice. It takes just minutes to clean. We also have zero wasted hall space. Of course a family could live in our house, but the layout is perfect for the 2 of us. The other bonus, it's paid off! 

Valued Contributor

Another happy small rancher owner.  I updated my windows and patio doors to triple panes and my entrance door is fiberglass that looks more like real wood.  Added a ton on insulation to the attic.  My home is perfectly comfortable from one end to the other on the coldest winter days or the hottest summer days.  No drafts, hot spots, cold spots.  I love my bright red asphalt shingled roof since red is my fav color.   I've never seen a roof as wonderfully red as mine is.  I can appreciate, like the OP, that my bedrooms are all down the end of the hallway and not off the main living area.

I also love my location on a rural, quiet cul-de-sac on the top of a ridge overlooking mostly woods and fields and with lovely sky views all around.  The trees I planted around the house have matured over the 25 years I have lived here and are home to a bounty of birds and animals.

Respected Contributor

My huge balcony.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

its a rancher......and pretty much these days they dont build ranchers anymore.

such a great layout for a "forever" home.

@sunshine45  What is a "rancher?"  Is that a one-story house?  I am not familiar with the term, haven't heard it where I live. 

Honored Contributor

Lots of closets, cabinets, bookshelves and storage, and enough space for 2 retired people to watch tv, work on paperwork and bills, make phone calls in peace, nap, read, and do their own things in separate rooms when they want to!  And it is comfortable for guests and people to come eat with us.

Valued Contributor

Favorite feature, I inherited it plus I am 3 miles from the beach on the Space Coast.  Thanks Mom.

Valued Contributor

Still waiting for Pooh's 100 acre wood