Esteemed Contributor

Re: Farmhouse Chic - Are You a Fan?

No, not at all.  I happen to love the Black, White & Gray color scheme but that's where it ends.  I'm not into shiplap, open shelving for kitchens, antiques, etc.  Joanna Gaines is extremely talented with that design style but basically if you've seen one of her designs, you've seen them all.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I can't say that I ever have just one way of doing things.  I'm not a follower, but I would imagine there's something in there that would appeal to me.  It's so situational, and evocative.

She certainly has been successful in creating a signature style.  In the world of design, that's an achievement.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

There are parts of it that I like, but not all. It can sometimes be overdone......I don't like Ulta modern either. 

Honored Contributor

I'm ok with modern farmhouse, not all of them are void of color

I like wood, I don't like rusty industrial, I prefer a simple stove hood, not some of the monstrosities I see.

In a small kitchen, if you have storage otherwise, I like the look of no upper cabinets, or maybe just a few uppers only.   But I don't need shelves.   

I like most elements in this kitchen, minus the shelves.   

farmhouse.jpg

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

It isn't my style wither. I like a casual elegance with a touch of shabby chic color scheme and a few accent pieces of antiques or Artisan pieces. I also love artwork in either oils or watercolors. 

Honored Contributor

No I am not a fan. I like modern, clean, neutral things that you can add elements of color and then the  farm house or traditional, or other styles, without all the clutter. I want easy to clean and, easy to navigate and easy to use. And not into such huge spaces anymore either. 

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I like elements of Farmhouse, but I wouldn't want it through my whole house.

I like comfy, oversized, neutral with blues/greens as my accent colors.  

I don't like a lot of little knick knacks all over.  I have no white walls.

Agree!!

Respected Contributor

I like to look at farmhouse chic...don't necessarily want to live with it!

I like my off-white walls all through the house, but I have lots of color in rugs, throw pillows and other accesssories. I have four dominant colors that I use. My style is more eclectic...I buy what I like as long as it's in one of those 4 colors.

Trusted Contributor

I own my families 1870 farm. It still the same as it was, only now it has a furnace,  flush toilet, and electricity.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like and have always liked, (meaning well before she descended on the scene), elements of the farmhouse look. I'd not want whole rooms full of it; and someone would have to twist my arm significantly to make me buy anything with Ms. Gaines name on it... Not much that she's done has been truly 'original'. As I said elsewhere, she has been lucky to be at the precisely right place at the precisely right time. Even shiplap was done for years before she was made to seem to have invented it...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...