Respected Contributor

Re: Fall decorating is done now.

[ Edited ]

I guess I understand people putting fall out now, especially if it's your favorite time of year, you can't wait~enjoy. 🌾🍂 

I'm in CT and my summer annuals on my deck are still in full bloom, as they always still are through Sept. It's sunny and green outside my windows. And I live in a shoreline town...so it's still about "beachy" for me, through the actual end of summer and Sept.

I like to take my cues from outside...when the foliage starts to pop, and my annuals are dying out...I may add some fall foliage in window boxes outside, if the mood strikes me. Some years my summer window boxes and pots just stay nice until the first frost so I just keep that. I may add a few pumpkins to it. (I'm not a mum gal at all...my least favorite of outdoor potted plants, and so overdone.)

So I transition, organically, as the season actually changes outside my windows. Same in winter/holiday. Works for me.

@qualitygal Glad you seem happy with your new look for the coming season.🍃🍁🍂

Today~high 70's here, breezes, petunias, dahlias & seashells are still making me happy~🌞🐚🌼

Esteemed Contributor

you all have the energy i used to have.....all i do now is change the scent of the candle i'm burning.....

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nana59 I love it! Simplify! Smiley Happy

I no longer do what I used to 20 years ago. I recall the first years I lived here...I made my Christmas wreaths outside from real cuttings my local garden store (long gone) used to sell. I loved that they offered that...we have plenty of other garden stores that aren't big box, but no one supplies those live clippings as this store used to. At that point in my life EVERYTHING had "to be real" for me. I strung real laurel (it was beautiful) on my porch railings.

But I also used to lament that I couldn't do lights out on my condo deck, no outlet. Then came along Bethlehem battery lit things...and I slowly but surely gave in to that "fake" greenery, but they had lights! ...and in fairness, BL stuff did look very real.

For fall I put out Halloween things, pumpkins & goards everywhere etc., some spooky things that made noise. 👻

Now...depends on my mood, but I've decluttered a lot this year, simplified my seasonal decor. Christmas, some years I do more, some less. Never put it all out in one year.

But fall...maybe a few pumpkins, maybe a fall potted plant (maybe) and change the wreath.

@nana59 You are like a friend of mine, loves to joke each year...puts out this little snowman chotcke, musical ornament, small lit ceramic tree grandkid gave her...and says well, my Christmas decorations are up! In Jan, it's 5 minutes and all put away. There's sometimes something to be said for that. Relax and just enjoy the season, simply now. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I changed the garden flag yesterday.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal  My Autumn decorations have been up since September 1. I only bought several new items. 
 An upscale resale store nearby has elegant items. I bought a tan and brown pottery vase with multicolored leaves on a branch. There was a small acorn pottery bowl with a top to match. They are on my den mantle with some old branches of leaves and acorns that blend well. 
  Big Lots had a pillow that has the right colors for my white living sofa. It's burgundy, wine and white pumpkins and some floral.

Since it's darker earlier now many more battery candles are out. 
   🍁 🍃 🍂 🌾 🌆 🕯

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't started yet. I usually put a few autumn decorations up around Oct. 1. They will stay up through the end of November. 

I will switch out to an autumn leaf tablecloth and fall centerpiece. I will add an autumn sprig to the grapevine wreath in the sunroom and put our jack-o-lantern that lights up in our front window. I finally found an autumn wreath I love for the front door. I've been looking for something for a few years. 

Respected Contributor

Nothing yet for me.   I don't do much seasonal/holiday decorating but will put a few pumpkins around the living and dining rooms at some point.   I decorate for fall when it looks and feels like fall.   It's still in the mid 80's here and looks like summer.