Valued Contributor

Re: Fall/Halloween Decor at Big Lots

I went there yesterday and picked up some bowl filler (cute mini pumpkins & pine cones) and a bag of their oversized, colored acorns. I use them in my candle hurricanes, the kind where you fill the bottom, then put the tray in and place the candle on the tray. Hope you know what I'm talking about. Still can't copy/paste a pic.

Last year they had nice burnt orange colored candles with a rawhide strap around them holding a bronze pumpkin charm. Really cute! I love Big Lots!!

I always check them out for Fall and Christmas decor items.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Big Lots sells a lot of overstock/closeout merchandise, plus a lot of import and budget home, cleaning, stationery, electronics, entertainment, toiletry, etc., etc.  They have a lot of standard items on the shelves, but a lot of what they have varies from visit to visit and depends on what kinds of merchandise their buyers come up with.

I buy quite a bit of cleaning, toiletry, cosmetic, home goods, and other items there.  They sell day-old Arnolds's, Roman meal, Enteman's, SaraLee, and other bread and bakery goods for less than half price.  They have some good deals.  Some of their seasonal and home decor stuff is very nice.  Some is kind of chintzy.  You just have to go and shop.

Honored Contributor

I was in our Big Lots last week and they didn't have the fall stuff out yet, just a few little things but mostly end of summer items on sale.  I have found some name brand home decor there but you have to check in often because that merchandise sells out fast. I like to go once in awhile.  Thanks for the HU.

Esteemed Contributor

I love Big Lots! Sometimes I have no luck, other times I hit the jackpot. 

Two years ago at BL I bought a set of two flocked 3 ft with white lights.  I believe they were under $40 and just beautiful! They were so beautiful I went back to look for a full size  tree last winter when I needed one. 

I ended up buying a iTwinkle tree at Lowe's.  It's the bomb!!!

Trusted Contributor

Big Lots has some cute Fall decor, but most of the battery items don't have timers. I bought a nice, light up gourd last year, but it has no timer.

I knew this before I bought it and thought I could deal with it, but I left the thing on and the batteries burned out and I think I abandoned it.This year it will just be a pretty decoration.

Honored Contributor

@flickerbulb wrote:

Big Lots has some cute Fall decor, but most of the battery items don't have timers. I bought a nice, light up gourd last year, but it has no timer.

I knew this before I bought it and thought I could deal with it, but I left the thing on and the batteries burned out and I think I abandoned it.This year it will just be a pretty decoration.

@flickerbulb  I learned that same lesson a few years ago when I got a few B/O decor at Cracker Barrel, so I can understand.

Timers are now a must-have for decor otherwise I won't buy them Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise wrote:

I have never been to our local Big Lots...and I have yet to set foot in the new Home Goods store too...

What is Big Lots compared to...Hobby Lobby? Michaels?...or like a Sam's Club (I'm not a member...just guessing)...

Anyone? Smiley Happy

@Susan Louise  Hi SUSAN---JMHO but I compare Big Lots more in the line of Michaels (I think Michaels quality has gone down a bit on some of their decor items)....I think overall Hobby Lobby has better quality, uniqueness, and larger range of merchandise I'm not a member of Sam's or Costco......Big Lot's Halloween & Fall stuff is nice......now Big Lot's Christmas---they had some cute things, and some things were a bit on the chintzy side.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@Susan Louise, Big Lots is a "close out" store, they sell food items, health/ beauty items, toys, pet supplies, hardware, decor, etc., and some have a furniture section!  It isn't a fancy store, but it is not a thrift store environment either!  Today I found many things I needed and could use, some times I find nothing, just all depends on what you are looking for!http://www.biglots.com/

@Hooty  You can find some deals, and other prices aren't a bargain....I agree it just depends on what you are looking for. 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

I was in Big Lots today and they had pumpkin lidded bowls with candles almost identical to the Temptations ones being sold on air now. For $6 or so dollars.  There were marquee lights- a hen and a pumpkin and Mercury glass as well. All much cheaper and no shipping! There was a lantern with 3 flame less candles and faux fall greenery for $30.00.