Honored Contributor
Sinister, until I saw the larger shot.
Honored Contributor

wrote:

I just Googled the pic and came up with a more expanded view of the home... and by the way, it's located in Devon, England.

Image result for river house devon england

Thank you for doing that, I didn't see the whole house.  Now I like it even more!!!

Honored Contributor

I love it, but that beautiful slate roof needs to be rid of all of that moss.

Honored Contributor

I think it has potential to be fairytale.  The gloomy day isn't helping.

It looks kind of creepy in the first shot.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@GingerPeach~ I think as it is that it's a nightmare, but with some cleaning, new paint, fresh flowers and shrubs that it could really be quite charming. I mean, just look at that property.. the house sits right by a stream! Love the drive up to the house, too!

Dream home in the forest

Hi @LIG1 The setting is outstanding, isn't it?  I am not happy with the thin columns.  They remind me of spider legs!  So I'd make those columns more substantial, enlarge the porch, place some cozy furniture and pillows ot there, and tidy up the rest.  Then we could all gather to have a cup of tea.  But I do love that twiggy fence.  

I love your ladybug avatar!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

I just Googled the pic and came up with a more expanded view of the home... and by the way, it's located in Devon, England.

Thank you for doing that, I didn't see the whole house.  Now I like it even more!!!

Wow.  They've expanded the fence and upgraded the road and turned it into a destination, it seems.  Seeing this, I now realize that new fence posts are in the first picture (which now looks as if it was squeezed from side to side).  I knew the place had potential.  Thanks for finding this, @qualitygal.  It kind of gives hope to all of us, in a way.

Honored Contributor

Here is more about the picture @qualitygal posted.

It's been a tea place for a long time, apparently, called Watersmeet House.    There's more on the website here:

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/watersmeet

In the 19th century it was this geology that drew tourists and great Romantic poets here. Southey, along with Coleridge, Wordsworth and Shelley were enchanted by Lynmouth and its hinterland, comparing Watersmeet with the Alps. Its moniker as “Little Switzerland” is valid, with its deep sunken valleys rising precipitously upwards for 300 metres or 900 feet.

At the turning point of this walk stands Watersmeet House. Designed and built by the Reverend Walter Halliday in 1832, a friend of Southey, it has been serving teas to passers-by since the early 1900s. In season you can see fritillaries here, such as silverwash and dark green.

Valued Contributor

wrote:

@LIG1

I love the location! It's beautiful. The house looks more appealing in this picture.  Not as much moss. It seems warmer. The river is fantastic! I would love to live next to it.

Honored Contributor

I think with a new roof, and some bright flowers and a brightened up porch, it would have a totally different look. Right now it looks sad to me, and dark and yes kind of mildewy!If that is even a word. LOL!

It doesn't really look scary to me, but it doesn't look happy either. It definitely needs some fixing up!

I bet it would look super cute after that!

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I think with a new roof, and some bright flowers and a brightened up porch, it would have a totally different look. Right now it looks sad to me, and dark and yes kind of mildewy!If that is even a word. LOL!

It doesn't really look scary to me, but it doesn't look happy either. It definitely needs some fixing up!

I bet it would look super cute after that!

I totally agree...a new roof would change the look from drab to fabWoman Very Happy