Respected Contributor

Re: Templating granite or quartz

I prefer the look of Quartz over granite but it's a personal preference I think either is a fine upgrade in a kitchen. I replaced Formica counters from the 1980s with a Pentax Quartz countertop. I like Quartz because I am not a fan of the speckled nature of granite. I chose a Quartz counter in a monotone color. I am very pleased with it. Also put in subway tiles as a backsplash. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Reever wrote:

I prefer the look of Quartz over granite but it's a personal preference I think either is a fine upgrade in a kitchen. I replaced Formica counters from the 1980s with a Pentax Quartz countertop. I like Quartz because I am not a fan of the speckled nature of granite. I chose a Quartz counter in a monotone color. I am very pleased with it. Also put in subway tiles as a backsplash. 

My mom had a Quartz she picked out. But when they.had pricing done it was $2000 more then the granite they picked. Didn't want to add that much expense. But the good thing is she picked out the granite before she was shown the Quartz. So she didn't feel like she was just settling.

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@Reever.  All granite is not "speckled". Mine has a background with lines going though it. There are many different types of granite to choose from.

Esteemed Contributor

@ccassaday, once cabinets were completed, they came out to make sure everything was leveled, measured and came back 2-3 days later to install granite