Honored Contributor

Re: Templating granite or quartz

I'm a firm believer in trying to use natural products in my home whenever possible. Thats why I chose granite countertops. Quartz is just a manmade product. And its tons more money too! 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I've installed granite in my kitchen 2x and quartz in my master bath.  LOVE them both, but definitely recommend the granite for the kitchen.  It wears like iron and has minimal upkeep.  When my cabinets were in they came to measure and the granite was installed in about a week.  We had picked out our granite long before and the  fabricator stored it for us until the job was ready.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday wrote:
Just curious for those who have used granite or Quartz. After the cabinets come in and are installed they have to template your kitchen and cut the granite. How long have you found it takes to do the templating after cabinets are installed and countertops get installed. Just curious as our builder has a note on our sheet it can take up to 4 weeks. Cabinets are do to be installed somewhere around the second week of Jan.

Hi @ccassaday, when we renovated our kitchen we chose the granite we wanted early in the process.  Once the cabinets were installed it took perhaps a week for templating and the installation to be done.  

Respected Contributor

We chose our granite slabs before the cabinets were put in. The quarry held them for us. The cabinets were installed then the templators came out and measured. I had the kitchen sink I was going to use there for them to measure also. They were very happy about that. It took 1 week for them to install after templating. The fellows were from Ireland. How I loved listening to them talk!

Trusted Contributor

We went with exotic Granite.  The entire process to me was amazing.  We were able to go the the YARD as they say and choose the exact pieces for our kitchen.  It took forever for them to finish them.  I believe it was 5 wks.  Good luck with your remodel.LUCKY GIRL.  Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Esteemed Contributor

Already picked out the granite. Did that way back in may when we wen through decorating with the builder. It's thunder white granite.

IMG_3690.JPG

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday wrote:

Already picked out the granite. Did that way back in may when we wen through decorating with the builder. It's thunder white granite.

IMG_3690.JPG

@ccassaday  I remember seeing this in the many granite places I visited three years ago looking for kitchen granite.  I ouldn't find anything, but finally came the day I had to choose something pronto, time had run out.

I ended up with beautiful granite nothing like the color I had in mind, but the best choice, as it turned out.  I polish it once in a while but only the areas that aren't covered with objects.  I bought the polish on amazon.

Valued Contributor

My son has been in this business for 15 years. It takes about one hour to do a template. But depending how busy the company is, determines how far out they have to allow for the install.

Beckyblu

Honored Contributor

We had our counters replaced about this time last year with granite.  Finding what we wanted took forever and we started to drive ourselves crazy looking at all the various granite slabs.

We finally picked one and the company came out and used a laser to measure for the slab.  About a week later they called and told us the slab was in. We had to drive out to the company to approve the slab.  Had we not approved it, they would have pulled another for us but that would have taken about another week.  Luckily, the slab they pulled was perfect.

About a week after we approved the slab, it was installed.  We couldn't have been more happy.  They did an awesome job cutting that slab and using the best part of the granite.   

Honored Contributor

Ok another question. On a new build do they put down flooring before painting. I am assuming so in case the walls got messed up. We are putting cortech he resultant floor down everywhere but the bedrooms and the two full baths. Those get tile and bedrooms get carpet. In other words when does the final painting of walls get done. Do cabinets go in before that.

The sheet rock should go up next with just subflooring down.  Walls can then be primed and painted before hardwood goes in.

You want your hardwood installed from wall to wall (underneath your cabinetry) before your cabinets go in.

We had our bathroom floors tiled (heated tiles) before we had them drywall the bathroom, so we put down lots of cardboard to protect the new tiles.