Esteemed Contributor

@Enufstuff 

I read your posts about your beautiful flowers.  It was described so vividly, I can almost smell them!  You have a lovely way with words and flowers.  ❤️🌺🌸

Respected Contributor

@cheriere   Thank you so much. I also appreciate the lovely flower pictures that you have posted and the the information

about them. I have never seen most of them, living in the Northeast.

I took a few pictures today and I'll get my son to help me post them.

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT   How lovely that you have your grandmother's Lily of the Valley pin. That is a very special keepsake.

I bought a Lily of the Valley pin several years ago, from the Metropolitan Museum catalog. It is pretty, with enamel leaves  and little pearls for flowers.

I took some pictures today and I'll get my son to help post them.

Honored Contributor

Stunning flower arrangements!

I like most florals!

Honored Contributor

@Enufstuff wrote:

@Oznell  Today I took some pictures of both sides of the hill where the Lily of The Valley grow. I'll have my son help me post those and some other flower pictures.

I love Lily of The Valley, my birth flower for May. It is amazing to me that such a fragrance comes from those very tiny blossoms.

Your birthday must be in January as two of my daughters' are.

Last January, my oldest daughter just wanted a vase of pink Carnations for her birthday. I went to the florist and they did a lovely vase of pink Carnations and Babies Breath. It seems to me that the new varieties of Carnations don't have quite as much fragrance as they did years ago.

You are correct about the cut lilacs not lasting long. They only last a few days, once cut. Since it is a tree, aside from just cutting, you need to smash the cut ends of the stems with something heavy, so they can absorb water.

I put them on a paper towel, placed onto a cutting board. I have a can opener with heavy handles that I use to smash or crush the cut stem, for about an inch in length, just enough for it to split open. The blossoms can last longer if you remove some of the leaves too.

Your dark reddish purple lilacs must be beautiful. You are so lucky to have both colors. I only have the light ones.

When I was in high school, there was a house near ours that had three lilac trees next to their house,one white, one dark purple and one light. Those trees just about reached the second story of the house. They must have been there for at least 50 years, to grow that tall. Just gorgeous.

@Enufstuff Your flowers sound gorgeous.  I noticed how you crush the stems.  I belonged to a garden club and was a master gardener and a consulting rosarian and that is a great practice.  We would never do that as master gardeners but as garden clubbers, yes.  It is very difficult to do with roses, but for rose shows, it is a must.

Esteemed Contributor

These beautiful pictures makes me want to rush out and my myself some flowers!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

Thank you, sweet girl, for posting these gorgeous floral arrangements.  All so gorgeous but (since retiring to not belonging to any clubs) my favorites (as one who was always doing arrangements for 'show-and-tell' or competition, the ones I like now are the plonks where things are cut and placed in a vase willy nilly and let them just show themselves off as they may.

Honored Contributor

@cheriere ,  the photos of flowers you take in the wild are the best of all!

@Enufstuff ,  ah, smashing the stems before putting in water  I hadn't realized that, with woody stems, but of course.  Thanks for that tip!   Can't wait for your pictures.

@Nonametoday ,   agreed, 'plonking' flowers willy-nilly are among my favorites too.  Artifice can be fun, but it only goes so far with me...

Respected Contributor

@Oznell   This is a stunningly beautiful post. Thank you! You certainly put a smile on my face. Heart

Honored Contributor

They are all so beautiful.