Respected Contributor

Re: FAYETTEVILLE, ARKANSAS EXTERIOR REMODEL OF 1000 SQUARE FOOT HOUSE

[ Edited ]

I love the drama of the dark exterior and roof! It's lightened by the landscaping and that lovely gate.  It's all so lush  I would move in a heart beat!

The sale is pending and here is a link to the interiors, I'm mad about the exteriors!

https://www.priceypads.com/1000-sq-ft-brick-home-masterfully-remodelled-by-dk-design-lists-in-fayett...

Honored Contributor

I absolutely love it, but then again I am a painted brick fan.

On another note, which will likely be unpopular, I think siding (first aluminum, then vinyl) has ruined the look of most homes; particularly as they age.  "Convenience" seems to be the big excuse for it.  I would rather have the inconvenience of painting every five years to maintain the integrity of the home.

I won't even get into the plastics-in-the-landfills issue.

Honored Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

I love the drama of the dark exterior and roof! It's lightened by the landscaping and that lovely gate.  It's all so lush  I would move in a heart beat!

The sale is pending and here is a link to the interiors, I'm mad about the exteriors!

https://www.priceypads.com/1000-sq-ft-brick-home-masterfully-remodelled-by-dk-design-lists-in-fayett...

@Somertime  Wow, thanks for posting. These added pictures show how truly impressive the re-do is and the interiors are appealing, if not precisely my personal taste. A masterful job this guy has done inside and out. Still, I'd not give up nearly a half million bucks for the house, with such limited space and in that market.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here is another article where he goes into detail the changes he made.  Once you read the article, it will give you a better understanding of the cost and what it sold for!

https://www.athomearkansas.com/?s=outside+the+box+march

@stevieb I do believe his talent lies on his  exterior vision.  I was 

not anywhere as impressed with the interior and I did not care for the placement of the kitchen appliances but the description of the changes he made to the exterior an the gardens I found fascinating.  Since worked for very high end designers in NY it made total sense to me that he would do what he did to achieve the look he wanted since this was his own personal space.  The date on the article is 2014.  I do not know when he sold the house.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Somertime wrote:

Here is another article where he goes into detail the changes he made.  Once you read the article, it will give you a better understanding of the cost and what it sold for!

https://www.athomearkansas.com/?s=outside+the+box+march

No question, it was a virtual gut job and an immaculately executed one. He's done some amazing things inside and the yard is gorgeous. Still, for that size home in Fayetteville, I'd have probably put that level of rehab dollars into something else and surely, were I seeking a home, I'd enjoy looking at this one, but for that price, I'd probably move on... Good article...

Honored Contributor

I love the exterior.  I think it's strikingly beautiful.

The inside is well done too.  There are some things I change, but not much.  

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I absolutely love it, but then again I am a painted brick fan.

On another note, which will likely be unpopular, I think siding (first aluminum, then vinyl) has ruined the look of most homes; particularly as they age.  "Convenience" seems to be the big excuse for it.  I would rather have the inconvenience of painting every five years to maintain the integrity of the home.

I won't even get into the plastics-in-the-landfills issue.

@faeriemoon  I'm increasingly liking painted brick too and am seeing a proliferation of it in my area. It's become the norm for brick houses in several neighborhoods I regularly drive through en route to various destinations to now sport paint. As for siding, I'm not sure convenience is the sole factor, I also think there's a cost factor. Good siding will outlast a paint job. Moreover, builders saw it as a way to save on construction costs. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is a trend here to slap some buckets of white paint on older brick houses.  Some look great, some are simply awful--ruined the house.

You'd better be really sure of what it will look like and what color of white (or any other color) is all I can say.  Some houses have been basically ruined by this.  Then there are places where several in the same area are popping up, which looks bad as well.

Edited to say:  This house was done as an advertising piece, a demonstration, and a fantasy piece for publication and press.  

Real life in Fayetteville AR?  No way, no how.  I can't imagine how much money they spent on that project.  

Respected Contributor

@Sooner He did this as his own personal residence.. This was not done as an advertising piece, or a demonstration.    Here is the article supporting it dated September 2013.  He purchased it in 2012 for 125,000.00 and had a sale pending in 2020.  

https://www.athomearkansas.com/article/personal-space/

Esteemed Contributor

I love the painted brick and the addition of the gate.  The amount of  landscaping is overdone for me.  I love a well-groomed lawn with pretty landscaping but I would have to scale this back quite a bit.  I'm not feeling the front door color either.  I would have done a white or a lighter cream.  Overall, it's still a huge improvement!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown