Honored Contributor

We all have our own preferences when it comes to family photos.  Everyone should do what they like in this hotly contested area, ha.  

Personally,  I prefer just a few beloved, black and white photos in frames, NOt on walls.  Black and white to me gives more impact, and I'm not distracted by possibly clashing bright colors.  All the rest in albums.

Designer Cindy Hattersley showed some interesting options for those who do like wall displays.  Here's hers.  She kept her frames to just black, burlwood, and gold, which gives such nice cohesion, and to me, gives the focus where it belongs, on the photos.

cindy-hattersleys-family-photo-wall.jpg

I LOVE her inclusion of a vintage round mirror.  Another thing she mentioned that I like, is she keeps them no more than 1 1/2 inches apart, so they don't look like they're floating off in space.  I'd like that rule if I had a gallery wall.

Here's a close-up of hers, showing that darling pooch and the distressing on that gorgeous mirror...

family-gallery-wall-left.jpg

Here's one below she showed, from Home Edit, that I don't care for.  Here, they have blown up the family members, and cropped their heads.   Looks to me a bit forced and trying to be kooky, ha.  Like celebs who coyly show just the foot of a newborn, or something:

family-portrait-home-edit.jpg

But to each his own.  Now, this family portrait wall of Brooke Sheilds that she showed, I think is very well done:

brooke-shields.jpg

It's neat that it's on a ledge, so can be changed up.  How did Marilyn get in there?  Love the sentimental inclusion of what looks like a filmy little christening dress or overlay.

Brooke seems very 'sympatico' with her decorating choices, at least of those I've seen.

This one of Tracy Pollan and Michael J. Fox kind of loses me.  I'm sure it's meaningful to them, but to me, it's too business-like and uniform, or something.  I find it a wee bit overbearing:

michael-j-fox.jpg

And this one below, from Kaleidoscope Living, no, no!  You can see that they were going for "playful", perhaps.  As much as I like color in a room, this is too much, and to me, takes away from the nice black and white photos. I also don't like the regimented line of picture lights:

kaleidiscope-living-family-gallery-wall.jpg

After looking at Cindy's examples, I found a few on my own.  This one below is rather "ordered",  but the warmth of the mustard-gold wall, and the quality of the beautiful vintage photos, endears it to me:

photo-gallery-of-family-pictures.jpg

I'm not against modern, or even color photos totally, if artfully done.  Like this deft arrangement in a nursery -- so very sweet.   Awww, that little dear:

canvas-photo-prints-newborn.jpg

I guess among my favorites are when, modern or vintage, other meaningful things are mixed in with the photos.

family-photo-wall-go-antique.jpg

Like this one of family photos mixed with other interests and trinkets --  so well done!   It evokes emotions, and reminds me of a waking dream....

black-and-white-family-photo-gallery.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: FAMILY PHOTOS ON A WALL

[ Edited ]

I'm not a big fan of family photo collages but I do like the first one.

I've also noticed when Susan Graver is on sometimes depending on the room she is in her home, she has a display on the wall of four large photos in black & white of her grandchildren.  I think that looks nice.

Esteemed Contributor

I might have taken my minimalist approach to decor a step too far, but most of these groupings seem cluttered to me and while not exactly anxiety-creating, they are not calming.

I do like Brooke Shields' display and did something similar on my fireplace mantel years ago.

I also like the chopped off head portrait--it's whimsical... playful.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell : I removed family photos to albums. I decided to do something different for my 1/2 bathroom in the den . I have shadow boxes with  pieces of quilts from my Mother and BigMama. Then photos of my Mother, BigMama and Nannie. Plus photos of other special ladies that made a difference in my life.7E0A200D-9306-4FC4-B437-AA0595AA21C0.jpeg

My two friends were totally against this idea but I love it. Sitting in my recliner in the den able to look at the photos during the day. Not a professional job and not perfect but something special for me.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  If I were to do this... it would have to be like the second to last picture.  That mix would work in my home, I think. I have tried black and white in my living and dining area and it just doesn't work. That.... and the fact I don't think I'd have the patience to do it !  I did really enjoy seeing all the options. It is an interesting post.    

Honored Contributor

Very interesting post!

I didn't care for the multicolored wall collection with ehe lamps and multicolored rug either!

My collection is several prints of quilts.

Honored Contributor

I display a photo or two on a dresser or shelf occasionally. Otherwise, I keep family photographs private and look through them as the mood strikes me. I don't care for them used as 'wall art'.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

My family photos adorn my piano.  I also have a photo of my parents in my bedroom.  No family photos on my walls.

Respected Contributor

Not a fan of using family and friends photos for wall art. Cindy Hattersley's does have the most appeal for me though.

Loved the uniquely framed round mirror in the center of the grouping. Also that she had pics of her dog. Now that, I can go for. I'm liking her. 

A big no for the rest of the groupings. Just too much, too cluttered.

Honored Contributor

Family photos are the decorations in this house, just not on walls.