Valued Contributor

Re: FAMILY OF 5 MEETS CHALLENGE OF 11OO SQ. FOOT CAPE

When I was growing up, mostly everyone I knew lived in apartments or small Cape Cods.  Many came from large families. The trick was not to have too many decor items or things to trip over because little kids become gangly teens and then big adults. 

I think her home is charming, but she may have to rethink some things as her children get older.  I like that she uses color and pattern to liven things up.

Honored Contributor

I grew up in a cape about that size.  There were four of us including my parents, and we never thought to complain about the space (or lack of.)  The whole neighborhood was comprised of capes, and there was a family of seven living in one (although theirs may have been slightly larger.)  That's just the way it was back then.  

These days I have lots of space which is my preference.  But when you have nothing to compare it to, you don't even notice that your living quarters are small.

Trusted Contributor

We're a family of six and that's doable for us. I say that because we've done it many times at the beach (inlaws own a little place and we get to use it). What I will add is that though this place is adorable, it has way too much "stuff" for us and makes it feel (IMHO) small and cramped. There is a fine line between cozy and cramped, lol, so I prefer minimal that I can add to when necessary. Smiley Happy

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

If she got rid of half of her pillows and clutter she would have more space. 

The pillows in the kitchen make no sense to me. Her kids must be very neat and clean because I know little hands would constantly touch those pillows.

That being said it is a very cute cottage but it has way too much unnecessary decor in a small space.

Honored Contributor

It is a comfortable looking home but for me too confining.  I like spacious rooms with high ceilings and while this place is nicely decorated, it isn't for me.