Honored Contributor

I don't have a fireplace or mantel, so I make do with the top of a hutch in the living room to give that "feeling".   Love to see what lucky others do with their mantels.  A couple of interior design bloggers have shown some of the favorite mantels they've done in their homes.

These might be too "quiet" for some people when it comes to fall.  They tend to give just a little suggestion of the season.  They bloggers used a lot of what they already had in the house.

Classic Casual Home:

Designer Mary Ann Pickett was lucky enough to start off with a really pretty fireplace in her 100 year old San Francisco apartment.  She showed two alternate looks:

Fall-Mantel-_-Two-Ways.png

A)  Her distressed gilt mirror is the backdrop for a vintage French crock with foliage and a pitcher with orange and peach roses.  The faded, framed engravings  somehow seem fall-ish to me too!

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 2.30.38 PM.png

Unlike almost everything else, the deep bronze-y candlesticks are new.   I like that sort of mustard color in the candles.  My fall vignettes always have books as well.

Orange-and-peach-roses.jpg

B)  Her alternate fall look dials in a lot of black, which I personally love.  It seems to go with the sunflowers really well.  Now, the aged pottery is gone and her stems are in a square, clear glass vase.  Dramatic little black and white print gives a focal point.

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 2.31.36 PM.png

I love her chunky black candles on the Serena and Lily white candlesticks, and the little cream pumpkins on the black box.  I have my black candles out too, in my old wooden barley twist candlesticks.  Black and brown together look very 'fall' to me too.

Serena-and-Lily-Candlesticks.jpg

The Relished Roost:

C)  The Relished Roost blogger has a very 'organic', bountiful look with her mantels.   Love the wheat, the aged urns, and the gorgeous brown transferware in the middle of this mantel.

fall mantle a.jpg

Old brown transferware makes the perfect container for this season!   She picked fresh hydrangeas, and then will let them dry as the season progresses...

fall mantle c.jpg

fall mantle b.jpg

She has TWO fireplaces.   This one with the horse painting is also neat:

D)  Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 2.37.54 PM.png

Don't know why--  I love the little touch of the wide brown ribbon tied around the books under the pumpkin.  Her shimmery glass vases add a little glam.

Fall Mantle 3.jpg

Rough Luxe:

You might recognize Cindy Hattersley's mantel from past posts.  Here, she also did two different fall looks.

E)

It really helps to have that fab, massive beam.  Love her Indian baskets and antique geese.

fall-2019-mantle-with-indian-baskets-cindy-hattersley-design.jpg

Here, she switched out the Horchow mirror, for some clever layering.  First, some vintage, arched top, antique salmon-colored cabinet doors.  On top of that, an old wooden industrial mold.   And then a modern, abstact print.  She keeps the geese and the fall leaves in glass.

F)

fall-2019-mantle-overall-with-modern-print.jpg

Most Lovely Things:

This one amused me a little.  Annie Diamond of "Most Lovely Things"  made an online sensation when she finally decided to paint out her rather awkward, heavy stone fireplace.  I think it turned out great.  Her idea of a fall fireplace mantel, is very minimal:

G)

white-painted-stone-brick-fireplace.jpg

Quaint little black houses, a black vase with one colorful fall stem, and brass candlesticks!   I like it though, and it's consistent with her aesthetic.

I was interested to see that that white they chose for the fireplace was Benjamin Moore's classic,  "Cloud White".  That's one of my favorite whites too-- it's soft, never stark or too bright, and as she said, it looks good in every light.

This below is NOT fall, but below was one of her "everday" ways of dressing her mantel.  Simple, cozy:

H)

fireplace-425x275.jpg

I've already got all my fall decor going.  The first thing I dug out was "Owley",  my sweet, slightly baffled Hosley owl vase, all of around $13 on Amazon!

d5dab0eb-5050-4d3b-a7d7-f40fd2ff419b.png

How about you?  Do tell, if you would, about any fall decorating at your house...

Honored Contributor

good ideas 

Honored Contributor

Not my style....

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Oznell, I thoroughly enjoyed these!

I actually prefer when Fall "whispers" rather than yells. The first mantel is my favorite followed by the second. Fresh flowers enhance any setting and sunflowers and roses are perfect. I think these actually would be perfect for three seasons with perhaps some changes for Christmas.

To be honest, I prefer spring and summer decor followed by winter and lastly, fall. I have a few decorations but keep them to a minimum as I generally prefer whites, neutrals, pale and navy blues. I won't likely put fall decorations out for another month.

Thank you for all of your postings...

Respected Contributor

Re: FALL MANTEL DECORATING

[ Edited ]

I found something I liked in every photo. I am so glad you shared them all. I was going to wait until the end of Sept to put out some fall things, but after the truly awful summer we had , couldn't resist setting out a couple of very small white pumpkins in my hall guest bath. I also lit my first spiced pumpkin jar candle of the season yesterday. Made me so happy to see it burning. I prefer smaller touches but I also have a large wreath of gourds that I display in my foyer on a stand. It is far too big for my front door. I always love to see some touches of rustic hues rather than pastels for fall...they just make me feel fall is on its way. I will probably get more fall decorating done now that I have seen many of our neighbors have pumpkins on their porches. It is still far too early for those...the squirrels will be carving them up into a mess before October is here. I use  mostly natural things for fall..love your Owley! 

Honored Contributor

Re: FALL MANTEL DECORATING

[ Edited ]

Oznell, I really enjoyed this thread.  I also don't like over-the-top decor for holidays.  I have even scaled down by about 75% my Christmas decorations. I think simple is more elegant.  I used to go all out.  I had villages, trains, tracks, Christopher Radko ornaments, porcelain manger, several Christmas trees.  Now I am down to a garland on my mantle and some silver ornaments placed about, white and silver poinsettias on the smaller tree and a similar wreath on my front door with candles here and there.  I am just tired of so much.  I think we are making China richer as they influence us with marketing that we need more and more each year. I have a real Christmas tree and a real wreath on the door and a real garland on my mantle and a wreath on my fence-gate.

Honored Contributor

I have a mantle for the first time in my life!!! So that is how I decorate for the seasons-----love all those photos-----

Honored Contributor

I like several of the items in the pictures, however none of the rooms look the least bit fall-ish to me.

I really do like your owl & candles setting your fall theme.

@Oznell 

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@DSD2,  and @Nonametoday --   I'm in the "less is more" camp too.  I actually got a little foliage for this fall, some natural dried "bunny tails" and some faux yarrow--  but usually I get nothing new.  I have year-round vases, two art-glass pumpkins, natural elements, leaves etc. that I put around, and Owley.  And that's usually it.  Oh--  and I do bring out more of my brass, candlesticks, etc.  I especially like the warmth of brass in the fall.

Yes to your pumpkin spice candle, @Trailrun23 --  I knew there was something I was missing!

Honored Contributor

Oh, @Imaoldhippie ,   that is an online photo I found of my owl-- not my personal photo, so I don't have the candles.  But he's identical to mine.

To me, some of the photos are more "fall" than others, true-- esp. the ones with sort of tawny leaves, and pumpkins etc.  You're right in the sense that it's a VERY light touch, and that's probably what I'm most comfortable with personally.  But I love to see more intense fall touches in other peoples' homes too.  I really like the season--  if only icy winter didn't swiftly follow it!