Respected Contributor

I bought brand new appliances for my new house this spring. The dishwasher, oven/range, microwave, washer, & dryer are all the same brand. I received an extended 5-year warranty offer from that company that was only a few dollars away from $2,000, and it didn't include the microwave.

We're at $2,000 for an extended warranty for 4 appliances. I was floored when I read the price.

Respected Contributor

Did you purchase the warranty?

Honored Contributor

Re: Extended Warranty Cost

[ Edited ]

Make sure you read the fine print in that extended warranty. Look for what it will actually cover and who (repair people) it will cover. It's kind of a network sort of thing with many extended warranty agreements. 

ETA-

For example, my friend bought a new washer/dryer set. She bought an extended warranty for the set. The washer broke down and she was told that she had to bring it to one particular repair place in town which was a long ways from where she was. Then she told them she could not do that and they sent a repair guy out to her house and charged her a fee for that visit. The repair guy said the washer needed to be replaced. He left. Warranty company told her she needed to bring in the broken washer so they could exchange it for a new one. It was a real fiasco for my friend.

Oh and that didn't take a few days or weeks...it took almost 2 months to get a new washer.

Esteemed Contributor

Desert Lily---I used to be a firm believer in extended warranties but not anymore. The appliances don't last like they did years ago. The average is 5 years. There are too many specifics in the warrranties that I've seen and it really limits your option should some repair be needed. 

I didin't even purchase the extended warranty on the last car that we purchased because it was just too much money.  

Trusted Contributor

@Desert Lily 

We don’t buy the extended warranty. We do buy the Allstate Insurance 5 Year one and my new stove’s circuit board crashed after a week and Allstate sent a check that covered the cost of the stove and taxes in less than a week. The insurance cost about

$225.00 for 5 years. It paid off.

Honored Contributor

@Malcontent    Wouldn't the manufacturer's warranty have cover the repair of your stove?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Extended Warranty Cost

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 - I agree.  A circuit board on a week-old stove crashing?  It would've gone straight back to the retailer, where I am.  At their expense, not mine.

Some states have implied warranty laws (under consumer protection) that many are not even aware of.  It pays to find out.

Honored Contributor

The more bells and whistles, I would get the warranty, there's more to have issues.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 

You would think so, but read the ‘fine print’ on a warranty. 

Legalese wording voids the manufacturer of a lot of responsibility.

Esteemed Contributor

DH has never purchased an extended warranty.  He feels they are a total scam.  If something needs repair right after puchase either the store or manufacturer should be responsible.  If it's later on then it's best to use the repair people that are local.  Many times the warranties strap you into certain repair companies and they may not be convenient or local to your area.   Plus you will still end up paying most likely.